Re-screening of a Donor

A Blood Donor had screened and donated for Platelet pheresis 3-4 days ago now donor want to donate for packed cells , Is the 3-4 days gap between donor scrrening is accepatable or the Re-screening of donor would be required ? .

Please give any Citation form FDA ,AABB,CAP.

Based on the Code of Federal Regulations 21 640.3, we screen donors each time they come in to donate. It does not matter whether the donor is donating whole blood, plateletapheresis, plasmapheresis or red cell apheresis.

By 'screen' do you mean the CUE, interview, checklist and/or blood testing?

On a sequential plasmapheresis even for a dedicated donor (say for their child) we screened each time. And I can't speak for the nurses, but they probably ran through the checklist by saying 'anything changed' or some dumb thing. The CUE was signed every time.

CFR mandates it.

One might as well run the serology each time, because you have to draw a set of samples anyway for Hct, plt count and so forth.

I agree with PSanai. Every time someone comes in to donate any type of product, they must get a full screening. I don't have the regs in front of me right now to quote you anything, but every unit must have it's own testing. Many of our donors donate SDP one week, then come back the following week to donate whole blood. They fill out a new questionnaire and we go over it completely with them. Then we send every test out no matter when they were tested last. The only exception to this is Stem Cells. They only get tested once for their course of stem cell donations.