Pooling Fresh Frozen Plasma

We do a fair number of plasma exchanges. With our old Blood Bank system we were able to create a product called a Fresh Frozen Plasma Pool. Now with Cerner and ISBT, we must dispense; and the Dialysis techs must transfuse the units individually. Does anyone know if it is possible to make up a product in Cerner Millennium, specifically a pooled plasma product?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I should start a new post or not but we are using the E5298 ISBT-128 code for our pooled plasma but found recently that we get FFP from our supplier with different preservatives. Most of the individual FFP units are E0701 with a CPD preservative and that works well with the E5298 pooled code because that has the CPD preservative as well. We are also getting, however, individual FFP units with code E0869 which has an ACD-A preservative. I can't find an ISBT-128 code for pooled plasma with the ACD-A preservative but since we don't get as many of these I was wondering if we can pool the two different preservatives together. Does anyone know if it's okay to pool two different preservatives? Also, does anyone know if there is an ISBT-128 code for the pooled plasma with the ACD-A preservative? Thanks.

There is an ISBT 128 code for the thawed version of this product. E6097 is Thawed Apheresis POOLED FRESH FROZEN PLASMA|ACD-A/XX/refg|Open. ACD-A would be an apheresis product, I believe.

It's okay to mix anticoagulants. If pooled platelets or plasma contain mixed anticoagulants, the product should be coded as POOLED PLATELETS|NS/XX/20-24 C, or corresponding code for plasma (see the ISBT 128 document called Product Code Structure and Labeling – Blood Components for an explanation on coding). The “NS” in the description indicates that the anticoagulant is not specified in the machine readable information, but must appear in text on the label. The XX indicates the nominal collection volume is not encoded in the bar code, but again may appear in the label text.

I'm not sure how you would label a pool of whole blood derived FFP (CPD anticoagulant) and apheresis derived FFP (ACDA anticoagulant).

Also, codes for the mixed anticoagulant FFP have not been requested but would be issued by ICCBBA when they are requested.