Post Transfusion Instructions

I was just wondering what kind of information people are giving to their donors post-transfusion? Are there special instructions given to donors who experience infiltrations? Does anyone have any post-transfusion instructions or infiltration care instructions that they would be willing to share?

thanks

spavlis

I've twisted and twisted on the arms of some of the RNs on the Patient Education committee here about revising the sheet they hand out. They were using one that talked about taking iron supplements and eating well and 'Oh, by the way, if you feel funny....call your Dr.'. I've finally gotten a couple of them to see the light and provided them with several examples I got off the internet from large hospitals (many outpatient transfusions) - carefully selected to meet my approval, of course ;). It is working it's way through committee (save me from committees!!!) as we speak. I will poke them with a stick every couple of months and hope we have something within the next 6 months. If and when it comes through, I will share.

Meanwhile, do some surfing. I looked for 'blood transfusion patient education' and variations and got a number of examples.

We have a letter printed on hospital letterhead that basically tells the patient he or she received a blood transfusion and, though uncommon, a patient can have a reaction after they have been sent home. It tells them to look for symptoms like red urine, yellow color to skin or eyes, chills, fever, vomitting, or difficulty breathing. If they experience any of these symptoms the instructions tell them to call their physician or the hospital clinic and lists the phone numbers. I believe it also tells them to go to the ER if any of the symptoms are severe.