Anticoagulants, additives, and preservatives

heathervaught

I am hitting a wall here, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am preparing a presentation on blood storage, and was hoping to include a slide on anticoagulants, additives, and preservative solutions that are available around the world. Thus far, my slide includes SAGM and MAP (Japan). What else is out there? I already discuss ACD, CPD, CPDA-1, CP2D, AS-1, AS-3, and AS-5 (by the way, what ever happened to 2 and 4???). Any enlightenment would be appreciated!!!

:blowkiss:

Thanks,

Heather

• 2 months later...

heather,

our blood center is using SAGM and CPDA1 for all of our blood donation activities before we were using the cpd and acd but due to its shorter expiration we opted in using the CPDA1 which is common to all of our blood centers. seldom ive heard blood collecting facilities using the cpd or acd (for your info)

you my also browse this site www.iccbba.org you'll find list of additives product coding bounded list and definitions.

:confuse:I'm not sure but I think a few places may still draw a limited amount in heparin for special reasons that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Many years ago, heparin blood was used to prime bypass machines. Is it still used?

Heparin is NOT used for general blood collections. It does not drop the pH and buffer the RBCs the way that other anticoagulants do. I believe it would solely be used in cell salvage procedures. ACD-A is the anticoagulant of choice for RBCs collected by automation. CPD, CPD-A is the anticoagulant of choice for RBCs collected by manual methods (the standard stick and bleed into a bag method). The recommendation to check out ICCBBA is a good one - but those are the ACs that are mainly used in the US.