Safe-T-Vue indicators

donde

Hello to all..this is my first post, but not my first visit to this site. Thank you all for the excellent topics and discussion.

Can anyone advise of the quality and relliability of the Safe-T-Vue indicators? How do they compare to the HemoTemp? We used the Safe-T-Vue some years ago and the indicators failed to perform as expected. We lost 6 autologous units as a result.

We have been using the Safe-T-Vue indicators for quite some time and, for the most part, are satisfied. I think one of our biggest problems is at the time of application. The instructions say when applying multiple indicators at once to first stick them to the bag, then go back and fold each one closed. I think you also have to be careful and only take out the number of indicators needed and be sure to keep them cold during the application process.

We have been using Saf-T-Vue indicators for several years and they work very well. I did have several techs tell me that a large number of indicators were turning red immediately after application, but later found out that it was a training issue. The techs were taking out the indicators and setting them on the counter for a minute or two before application or were removing the foil portion and closing the indicator before application. According to the manufacturer, both techniques can lead to premature color change. Once the techs started applying the indicator immediately upon removing it from the refrigerator and then closing the indicator after application, we stopped having problems. I feel much better about giving out blood in a cooler if the units have indicators attached since it is the only way to be sure that the units were kept in the cooler until needed.