HCLL ISBT help for a friend

I received from a tech at another hospital (we do not have this system). She has found that in barcoding the ISBT DIN that she is getting check digit characters usually a hyphen followed by a letter on her issue forms after the DIN number :cries:. Is there something she is missing? She tried talking to customer service and they acted like they didn't even know what ISBT is!...I couldn't help her other than to say I would check Blood Bank Posts. Any help is appreciated, and I'll recruit her to this Forum for future references. Thanks.

The check digit is for manual entry of the ISBT 128 DIN in case the DIN must be keyed in.

Obviously Customer Service does not know its own software because this was actively programmed and is preferred, meaning the software development process involved someone knowledgable about ISBT.

sjl

I was referred to <email removed> regarding an ISBT issue and was pleased with her response. Before this referral I also could not find anyone in the company that could answer ISBT related questions.

Edited by Cliff
Glad to see this was resolved, email removed to reduce spam for the recipient

Actually there are other issues with HCLL. Like you my contact is with someone else's system; we have Cerner, but don't let me start. HCLL has or had a problem with the * in CheckSum. HCLL apparently uses the * as a command, and one in 37 units will have this as a CheckSum digit (the 26 letters of the alphabet, the 10 numerical digits and *). Apparently there is a work-around; so I would contact HCLL to make sure you have the latest and greatest upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

We went live with HCLL and ISBT simultaneously in early March this year. I'm not quite clear what your friend is asking - is she questioning that the check digit should or should not appear in the issue form? HCLL displays the full ISBT DIN number including the check digit throughout the system. If you scan the barcode, the check digit displays following a dash. If you type the unit ID, you type a dash and the check digit.

Suzanne