Tissue informed consent

Hi,

I work in Blood Bank and I help manage our Tissue Program for our Hospital. I was wondering if anyone had a Tissue informed consent form that they could share with me? This is one of the pieces that we feel is missing from our program and I would appreciate some examples.

Thanks,

Bonnie

• 9 months later...

I'm sorry to see no one has replied to your question. We are having the same discussion about whether we should be having patients sign a consent specifically for tissue implantation. Does anyone know the rule?

Does anyone currently require a tissue consent form?

• 3 weeks later...

I have asked the same question. We do have a consent for autologous tissue (bone flaps) that are collected and stored. Our surgical consent mentions tissue disposal and includes perioperative period consent for transfusion. I have asked that tissue products be added to the blood product portion of the consent. Risk management ants to keep consent general and feels the surgeon should educate the patient during the informed consent process. If you would like I will send my proposed consent changes, or our Bone Flap consent. I have found a bigger problem is the physician order to procure/transplant/implant the biological products.

T Stec

Biovigilance Program Director

Hi-

We have consent for blood and tissue included in our surgical consent form. We set the stipulations similarly for tissue that we had on our blood informed consent form, just added tissue where appropriate and at our last JC inspection, they received good marks for how tissue was handled. I do not have responsibility for the tissue program, but I do serve as a liason to the OR director for these compliance issues. It was our suggestion to streamline and include wherever possible to cut down on the number of forms to maintain and manage.....

• 3 months later...

We have a tissue consent FINALLY. Our surgical consent has a clause for blood transfusion. We added the phrase BLOOD AND BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS. This will cover all the products blood bankers do not know that surgery has.

This reminds me of a discussion we had about this at our hospital. (I don't know what they ever decided totally, I left that up to the Quality Care Managment and Lawyer types).

Anyway, a surgeon said... "I always tell my patients they will be getting a cadaveric graft."

To which the director of surgery said, "Half the patients probably wonder if that is some new designer thing? Similar to a Calvin Klein".

Linda Frederick