Documenting Training & Competency when Procedures are Updated

Jane

I have been using a very generic form that listed the procedure changes and asked the techs to sign when procedures were updated. Lately I'm trying to decide how this can be better accomplished. I know that some of you have a training SOP and a competency document for each SOP. Do you do a new one when a procedure is updated that includes everything (obviously you would for new employees but I'm talking about those already trained) or do you just make ones for the already trained people that only covers the updates.

For example (for those of you that didn't make any sense for), I am updating our crossmatch procedure to include a second blood typing for those not on file- so would the techs that have already been trained on the current procedure, need to go through all the training again or is there a shortened version that you would use with just current employees???

Please help!!

I have been using a very generic form that listed the procedure changes and asked the techs to sign when procedures were updated. Lately I'm trying to decide how this can be better accomplished. I know that some of you have a training SOP and a competency document for each SOP. Do you do a new one when a procedure is updated that includes everything (obviously you would for new employees but I'm talking about those already trained) or do you just make ones for the already trained people that only covers the updates.

For example (for those of you that didn't make any sense for), I am updating our crossmatch procedure to include a second blood typing for those not on file- so would the techs that have already been trained on the current procedure, need to go through all the training again or is there a shortened version that you would use with just current employees???

Please help!!

Jane, when you say "training" for that crossmatch procedure I assume that you mean that the techs are simply reading the new procedure and verifying that they have read it. I can't see that the addition of a second blood type requires any actual training.

In the case where I have revised an SOP I just highlight or bold the revised part of the document to point out what has been changed and print out a copy for circulation to the techs. Attached is a generic form for them to sign that they have read and understand the revision.

Of course with any SOP dealing with a brand new procedure you would probably be dealing with some type of training.