Adsorption/Elution for A & B Subgroups

Does anyone have a good method for performing these adsorption/elutions using monoclonal antisera? We perform maybe 3 or 4 a year using an old method that utilizes an outdated polyclonal anti-A,B which is kept frozen. The procedure involves testing the eluate at a room temp incubation period and following that up with a 37C incubation and Coombs reading. The results have been mixed and eventually we'll run out of the polyclonal reagent. Thanks in advance.

In China we will test the eluation at 4C , room temp and 37C Coombs. Because some anti-A and B is prefer cold temp, I think we should do it. I have found some weak A and B antigens react stronger at 4C with monoclonal antibody than at room temp.

In China we will test the eluation at 4C , room temp and 37C Coombs. Because some anti-A and B is prefer cold temp, I think we should do it. I have found some weak A and B antigens react stronger at 4C with monoclonal antibody than at room temp.

Thanks Shily! But if you are using monoclonal anti-A,B for the adsorption the 37C/Coombs part would not be applicable since the Coombs sera would not react with murine antibody. This is in contrast to the human source anti-AB that many of us older members of the profession fondly remember.

Thanks Johna for your pointing out ! Please give me a chance to explain it.

We perform these adsorption/elutions using human antibodies not the monoclonal antibodies. As we know part of human anti-A and anti-B prefer 4C.

I said those things above to prove monoclonal antibodies prefer 4C.

Can I get the conclusion that part of polyclonal antibodies prefer 4C? So I think we should test it at this temp, too.

Sorry for my English!

Thanks Johna for your pointing out ! Please give me a chance to explain it.

We perform these adsorption/elutions using human antibodies not the monoclonal antibodies. As we know part of human anti-A and anti-B prefer 4C.

I said those things above to prove monoclonal antibodies prefer 4C.

Can I get the conclusion that part of polyclonal antibodies prefer 4C? So I think we should test it at this temp, too.

Sorry for my English!

Your English is fine (But unfortunately my Chinese is not!). If you are using human source reagents I would continue to do what you are doing. The problem today is that as far as I know these reagents are no longer available commercially in the U.S..

• 2 weeks later...

Johna, the human plasma or serum which we used is self-made( sorry, I don't know if I can call it like this). When we found someone's antibody(healthy donor) titer is very high( often higher than 1024), we will conserve it as reagent. I don't know whether this kind of doing is legal in U.S..

Johna, the human plasma or serum which we used is self-made( sorry, I don't know if I can call it like this). When we found someone's antibody(healthy donor) titer is very high( often higher than 1024), we will conserve it as reagent. I don't know whether this kind of doing is legal in U.S..

Sily,

I wouldn't say that it's illegal in the U.S. to do an adsorption/elution with donor or patient anti-A,B but before monoclonal antisera came on the scene commercial antisera was used for this testing. The reason being was that reagent antisera was known to have a very high titer. Thanks for your comments and I wonder if anyone else who frequents this board might be using a patient/donor anti-A,B for their adsorptions.