FDA Compliant Split Product Bar Codes

kwm5321

We are currently in the process of implementing a new computer system. The new computer system’s option for creating split products is to modify the parent product code by adding a letter to the product code. Examples follow:

Parent code: RCL Split codes: RCL-A, RCL-B, RCL-C, RCL-D, etc.

The product number for the split remains the same.

We are still using codabar. The system only recognizes the RCL from the bar code. (It doesn’t recognize RCL-A, RCL-B, RCL-C, RCL-D, etc. bar codes.) Therefore, you bar code the RCL product bar code and a drop down menu appears with the available split codes to manually select.

The original product number’s bar code can also still be used. The split product is labeled with the appropriate split code and product number.

Is this acceptable per FDA requirements?

Thanks.

It sounds like you are implementing the same system we are. I think it should be fine for codabar but I wonder how this will work with ISBT-128 where the product code changes with each split. I do know they have an upgrade going to FDA in the next month or so. Much of the upgrade has to do with ISBT. If you would like to chat to compare notes, please e-mail or send me a personal message.