Maximum Extracorporeal Volume

I am currently in the process of revising all our SOP's, when I came across this Maximum Extracorpeal Volume( ECV). We currenly calculate this out for all our donor apheresis procedures. According to our SOP, this need be less than 15%. ( We calculate this out by taking the ECV / Total blood volume). Since being new to the department, I asked some of my staff about this and no one could tell me where this came from. I have searched in all the AABB standards and FDA regulations about ECV.

Does anyone know anything about this or is currently do this? Is it even necessary to calculate this out anymore? Or does does anyone know where I can find information about this?

thanks

stephanie:confused:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a little confused by the question...

Do you mean the maximum plasma loss per collection? If so, I'll guess you use Trimas for your platelet collections. The FDA guidance states specific maximum volume amounts (500 or 600 mls) or as specified by the instrument liscense. The Trima license allows for plasma loss up to 15% of the TBV. You can find this in the Operators Manual. It is also one of the parameter setting options. If you use the Fenwal Amicus, the maximum plasma collection per procedure is 700mls (if >175 lbs) or 600 mls if less. This is also in the Operator's Manual.

The Guidance does address extracorporeal RBC volume during a procedure, but this is has to do with eligibility following incomplete procedures.