donor refreshments

Does your blood center allow the donor to "refresh at the bedside" or only under certain circumstances (for example giving juice or water if they feel weak or lightheaded during donation, or have a reaction?

Is it against OSHA for the donor to be drinking (or eating) during blood collection/in the collection area?

Is there any difference between whole blood collection and apheresis collection for your "rules" on this at your blood center (such as since apheresis is longer to you allow that donor to drink liquids)?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I do not want this to just be "my opinion" I want to find out what others are doing, whether there are regs and whether anyone has been cited. Would it be acceptable as long as not during initiation and conclusion of the procedure (when risk of contamination)-which is the feeling of some blood bankers I have talked to?:cries:

We have had enough v/v reaction investigations to know that many who do have reactions haven't had something to eat prior to donation. We now not only ask prior to donation if they have eaten recently, we ask "when" and "what" they have eaten. If we think it hasn't been recently enough or substantial enough, we send the donor to the canteen to get a snack or two before they donate. That has seemed to help. If, however, a donor has a reaction, we will let them drink something in the donor chair, but only after the collection has been discontinued. We otherwise do not allow food or drink in the collection area.

BC

Patients eat in hospital rooms every day, which is the location of many yuckier procedures besides blood collection. It's not the same as a Med Tech with gloves on with "freedom" fries and catsup at the workbench being eaten between samples.

If the donor should not be moved to the refreshment area, letting them eat and drink wherever they're at is good donor care.

Mebbe so, Larry, but we are trying to follow cGMPs in producing those units of blood. I know my FDA inspectors would turn back flips if they saw donors eating in the donation room, and I don't know of any reaction protocols that call for eating a snack. More power to anyone who can sneak eating in the donation room (regardless of the reason) past an FDA inspector.

BC

Hey DW, we only allow a drink during recovery of "severe light-headed" reactions in the donor area. OSHA only cares about your employees......so I don't think they would care. FDA....AABB....I would think so. Our European company that buys our plasma had a complete come-apart one day when a donor had a closed bottle in her purse during donation. Heres hoping our friendly neighberhood walking regulation book wades in for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Our donors are considered for deferral if they haven't eaten yet during the day of donation. It is up to the patient - if they want to donate, they need to have eaten or will have to go get a snack in the cafeteria before a needle gets anywhere near their arm. The patients almost always comply, and our post-donation reaction rate has decreased.

Our donors are considered for deferral if they haven't eaten yet during the day of donation. It is up to the patient - if they want to donate, they need to have eaten or will have to go get a snack in the cafeteria before a needle gets anywhere near their arm. The patients almost always comply, and our post-donation reaction rate has decreased.

We are careful not to call our donors "patients," because they are not. If they are patients, then they fall under a whole nuther set of regulations than do donors.

I think most donor centers ask if the donor has eaten yet and don't allow donation if they haven't. Some donors are predisposed to v/v reactions even though they have eaten a hearty meal prior to donation. Our system CEO is that way. Even the most experienced donors (I am a 10-gallon donor) can have reactions upon occasion. You never know what is going to trigger the reaction.

BC