Mimicking Abs OR Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon?

We have recently turned up two cases of unexpected antibodies in our Elutions.

The first case we eluted an Anti-Fya from the red cells of a patient that had not been transfused for 5 years. (The tests were repeated & the control wash was always negative)

From the papers I have read - it seems to me that Mimicking Antibodies are of a single specificity (or "wrong specificity" as described by most authors & can be absorbed using phenotypically negative cells ) and are a separate entity from those deemed to be resulting from the Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon which requires the presence of an additional autoantibody antibody.

Some people regard any mimicking Ab to be just Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon - a term that most authors seem to give very little credence to these days

I am a little puzzled are they one in the same thing?

:confused:

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I can't understand what is the meaning of Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon in Chinese.

But in China we have met Mimicking Antibody present lonely without another autoantibody.

And some Mimicking Antibody's corresponding antigen present on the RBC,some not.

All Mimicking Antibodies can be adsorbed by antigen positive and negative RBC.

I don't think mimicking Ab is the same as Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon . Becasuse sometimes we can test the DAT positive just because the mimicking Ab lonely on the auto-RBC,and the antigen is not present on auto-RBC. And I have search an assay about Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon, its address is below

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1423039&blobtype=pdf

And use the antigens negative (negative to all the antibodies in the serum )to do the test, if it can react with the cell, then the antibody is not Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon , is mimicking Ab or nonspecific adsorb.

• 3 years later...
I don't think mimicking Ab is the same as Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon . Becasuse sometimes we can test the DAT positive just because the mimicking Ab lonely on the auto-RBC,and the antigen is not present on auto-RBC. And I have search an assay about Matuhasi Ogata Phenomenon, its address is below

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1423039&blobtype=pdf

very interesting ! first time to hear about his ?? i will read the assay Thanks