Our hospital is concidering going to the Cerner system for Lab, BB, Pharmacy, Registration, etc. I woud appreciate any hints, concerns, comments, or suggestions in the pre and post-implementation process.

We use Cerner for our lab and blood bank. However, it is not compatible, or so I have been told with our Midas system, which is our hospital wide reporting system. So, data has been hard to pull. For blood conservation data is a must. I would just make sure it is compatible with your other hospital systems. Best Wishes, yvette bunch

We have Cerner also. It's okay...just okay! It is not compatible with the hospital's system which makes it so difficult and frustrating to communicate with the entire institution. There are so many unneccessary phone calls b/c the floors and outpatient clinics can not view any results. It makes things very chaoitic on our end. As far as result entering and actual blood banking it's okay. There are flags that the system will default to if a unit is not antigen typed and a patient has an anitbody. It will also alert you of an ABO incompatible unit before dispensing. The only problem is techs have to be careful not to be so "enter" happy or else you can enter right through.