Electronic Crossmatches and CAP

Sherie Bruns

I work at a multi hospital network and we currently do not participate in the CAP electronic XM on the JAT or J.  I am not sure how to prevent other Transfusion Services in our network from "seeing"  the CAP eXM results of other hospitals.  How do other multi-hospital networks participate in CAP eXm without inadvertently sharing the CAP results?  We use HCLL as our LIS system in the Transfusion Services and interface with EPIC/Beaker for our lab LIS.

Sherie

I am part of a large system with a shared BB LIS. We enter everything in the training side of the computer (also shared). The staff member will create a 'unique' patient name. Enter the components and pick the components for the 'unique' patient to complete the EXM. The person completing the EXM will print screen shots with the patient info/unit EXM. The only way to 'discover' the name is to look on the printed paperwork which does not leave the location.

We are part of a multi hospital system. We use LIS test patients which match the ABO/Rh and antibody status for the CAP 'patient'.

For the CAP XM survey I generate a random ISBT DIN that will not ever exist (collection year <2007) which I substitute and crossreference for the CAP supplied DIN.

One of the more useless of CAP surveys, since you know perfectly well what should happen if you try to give an unscreened A Pos to an O Pos with anti-E, particularly since you probably did the hundred pages of validation for your system. (I know, you still have to check and do the survey, but.........)

We have 2 hospitals and use the mock patients in our test area in the LIS. Each site has different product mnemonics so there's no confusion (or peeking). So what you could do is:

• Use different names/mnemonics for the products (1st or second donations) for each site.
  • Use different numbers as suggested above. You are not testing your system's ability to read a bar code, but rather its ability to prevent the issue of an inappropriate unit of blood.
  • If you can't do that, have different fake patients and take turns using the same units. Release the units and let the next facility have at them.
  • Don't peek at the other guys results. Why would you even be tempted to, when, unlike other CAP surveys, you know what the answers to this one should be!