Cooler temperature validation, SOP. Transporting specimens for reference lab

vbezruchko

Hi Everyone,

We are Medical Laboratory, picking up specimens from many locations and transporting them to our lab via couriers. Our specimens usually contain blood tubes, urine, etc. Most of the specimens are refrigerated, some frozen and some ambient.

My question is: does anyone have SOP on specimen handling while in transport? Are you using any temperature indicators inside your coolers? What is the best way to validate these coolers and make sure that specimens are transported under correct temperature? Our couriers do multiple stops so they open coolers frequently during route.

Thank you, hope to hear some advices soon!

I do not have an SOP for you but there are several different ideas: 1. Put thermometer in cooler and record temp at first picup and back at lab for all three temp storages. Record temps on a PDA using spreadsheet and then sync to PC in lab. 2. Use portable recorders--mark at beginning and end of run. 3. Invest in wireless monitoring. 4. Use 12 volt camping cooler/refrigerator or freezer instead of cooler for more consistant temps. Mix & match the ideas.

Bill, Thank you for your input. I actually was thinking about the same thing : opting for thermometers, validating them and recording the temperatures.. Right now I am choosing which thermometer to get, to keep it cost effective.

Anyone has any experience with thermometers to monitor temperatures in the coolers during transport? If any brands are recommended, please let me know?

There is a simpler method for keeping temperatures over a longer time frame. You can find a temperature logger that records the temperature for up to 48 hours or longer on the internet. It looks like a USB device or a circle and will sit inside the cooler of your choice. It has a computer program that you load into your computer and it can then be uploaded and reviewed. You can print out the report of the temperature and keep it for any agencies that may require it or for your own records.