Requirements for CFC free refrigerants?

RR1

Does anyone have details about the requirements for all fridges to be CFC free as of 2010? This would mean older fridges would probably not comply and actions would need to be taken to change the refrigerant in them- if possible.

Thanks

Hi Rashmi,

This is going to catch a lot of people out in the UK and I would urge anyone within Bloodbanks to check this website out urgently, http://www.fgas.org/

Some dept managers know all about this or have been informed via there estates dept, however there are quite a lot who know nothing about it, basically you need to change your refrigerant gas, most common one being R22, which should be identfied on the compressor name plate or painted on it, just check against the timelines on the F-Gas regs, if you dont change it and continue to use it, shortly you will have to scarp the whole peice of equipment so think about setting aside some capex for a equipment replacement program.

I could bore you all about this subject, but no need as the info is on the web-link.

Cheers.

Thanks for the link David. Only a few more mega long documents and regulations to read through!

Does this basically mean that if a fridge ( or air conditioning system) needs re-gassing then the maintenance company cannot use R22 gas (which would be in older equipment) as they are not allowed to store this, so you would need the complete gas exchanged to the CFC free one, or is there a change-over period?

Is it possible to re-gas older equipment that uses R22 ?

Thanks

Hi Rashmi,

The timelines are on the link and your right, you need to change over ASAP if not and a compressor fail's after the required date, your snookered and need new equipment.(System contamination issues).

You can re-gas and I think but check the link, this needs to be done by early January 2010 and costs typically £400, any equipment purchased after 2007 should be CFC free, so basically anything pre-2007 may have R22 etc in the compressor and needs to be checked, your estates should have already surveyed your equipment, but double check as I know of quite a few who have turned a blind eye to it.

Cheers.