Suppressed CBC results

What CBC results do you review with Platelet donation?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What CBC results do you review with Platelet donation?

• Platelet results only
    • Platelets and Hb/Hct
    • Complete CBC

I've recently started working for a new company where only the platelet count from the CBC is printed out. This is new to me as I am used to comparing the Hb/Hct result with the screening method used to qualify the donor and when this "gold standard" method shows the donor to be anemic putting a deferral on them for several weeks.

I know of other blood banks that do not view the WBC count but this is the first I've seen of the Hb/Hct values being suppressed.

What is the practice at other donor centers?

Got to be a mistake. The Techs running the CBC must be selecting only the Platelet Count to print for you. The Donor Center needs the whole CBC: the WBC to verify the 'feeling well' and 'taking antibiotics' questions; the hgb and hct to judge blood loss compensation mechanism; and the platelet count to judge Platelet donors.

thanks for your reply. No - there's no mistake here by the tech. I confirmed w/ the exec dir if this was just the local policy or what. I was informed that this was the practice of the entire network of donor centers and was approved by the VP of medical affairs. Since no other BB I've ever worked for has this practice I'm hoping to get more responses before I bring this to the C-suite.