Pheresis Platelet <3.0 x 10(11th power)

Trek Tech

Our supplier recently sent us a platelet pheresis with the product code (codabar) 12711. The count on the bag is 2.8 x 10 (11th power) platelets. this code was not in our computer system and I had to investigate it. According to the Technical Manual a standard pheresis platelet should have 3.0 platelets and must be labeled with the count if it is under 3.0. A local hospital chain refuses these as a suboptimal dose.

I was wondering if other facilities have a policy on this.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Please forgive me Trektech2, I have only just discovered this forum.

12711 is the product code given to apheresis platelets of variable content. This is done for units that don't quite meet the minimum requirement of 3.0E+11 platelets. They are sometimes still kept and sold at a discounted rate. While some hospitals won't take them there are others that will take advantage of the discounted rate for something so close.

Trekteck-

Instead of the Technical Manual, I would refer you to the AABB Standards. In the 26th edition, page 29, Standard 5.7.5.21, "Validation and quality control shall demonstrate that 90% of units sampled contain >3.0 x 10^11 platelets..." When it is known that a product contains less than 3.0 x 10^11, the product code is changed and the yield is documented on the container.

In ISBT lingo, we use E4643, E4644, E4645, and E4646. In Codabar, we used 12711, 12751, and 12781.