check cells

hati

Hello there,

I am a little bit confused. Do I have to do check cells on a +/= reaction. Here are the results? Currently , we are just using LISS and 3 screen cells. On the screen cells 1, I got 2+ on both IS and 37, but a +/= on AHG. Here are the breakdown.

IS 37 AHG CC

Screen cell 1 2+ 2+ +/=

Screen cell 2 0 0 0 2+

Screen cell 3 2+ 1+ 1+

We sent the sample to ARC for a workup since this is a small lab.

Thanks for the input:)

The purpose of check cells is to confirm that the AHG reagent was working when the tube test was performed. Inadequate washing is probably the most common culprit nowadays, although in the old days before the green color, missing the tube with a drop was probably more common. If the AHG test is positive already, adding check cells tells you nothing.

With an equivocal result under 1+, though, the interpretation becomes a bit fuzzy. Did that tube really get washed as well as the others (esp with an automated washer)? Although green, did it get a full 2 drops of reagent? And so on ...

I always add check cells to AHG reaction of less than 1+, just to be sure, but that's not in my procedure manual ...

Technical Manual stated that:

The addition of IgG-coated cells to negative antiglobulin tests (used to detect IgG) is required for antibody detection and crossmatching procedures.

Each negative antiglobulin test must be followed by a control system of IgG-sensitized cells (check cells).

I believe it is for tube methods only, not gel.

Standards 5.8.3.3 has changed when you compare the new edition with old edition, like 23rd ed.

Hope that helps.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Jan 15, 2009