pre-pooled cryo

lisad

I want to start preparing pooled cryo to sell to our hospitals. Can anyone offer any advice on QC and Validating the process. I understand that most blood centers are pooling 5 random cryo per pool. Is anyone doing anything other than that? :)

We had serious time delays and complaints when we had to thaw and pool many units of Cryo during cardiac surgeries. Our blood supplier started making 5-unit prepooled frozen Cryo within the last year. We love it!! It is so much easier for us and lets us provide Pooled Cryo must faster. (We think a pool of 5 units is just right; if the bag had 10 units it would just take longer to thaw.)

Our surgeons often request 20 units of Cryo at a time. We thaw and issue 4 products, and we decided to not take the time, trouble, and paperwork of pooling them all together. (I think the transfusionists are just so thrilled with how much faster we can the products in their hands, that they don't seem to mind administering the 4 bags one after the other.)

Since we do not prepare the product, I can't help you with your QC/Validation questions. I hope blood centers that do prepare Pooled Frozen Cryo respond to your inquiries so that you can proceed with your plans. I just wanted to let you know that the product has really improved our patient service time.

Donna

Puget Sound Blood Center in Seattle provides pools of 6 cryo. The supervisor of inventory management is Brian Danforth. You can find contact information as well as lots of other info at their website: psbc.org. We really like having pre-pooled cryo.