ISBT128 & Sunquest

I believe Sunquest can't say too much about ISBT128 and Hema Trax since they do not have 510(k) for the version with interface. They need to follow rules and be careful.

I am trying to get information from Cerner as to Hema Trax status on Classic but probably similar situation...we'll see. I do know Cerfner Classic is working on interface.

• 1 year later...

What work around do you use for spliting units?

We use Sunquest 5.4 still, and just got cited in AABB inspection for split units. We do maybe 10 year.

Prior to ISBT, sattelite bags were fully labeled. Now they come blank. No one pointed this out to me, and I didn't notice. They have been placing codabar blood type labels on the bags, but there is no product label !!! So I have to place an order for labels STAT.

We haven't pooled PLT's in over a year, and just started receiving pooled frozen cryo (still working on setting that up).

So split units will be the only ISBT128 problem.

What work around do you use for spliting units?

We use Sunquest 5.4 still, and just got cited in AABB inspection for split units. We do maybe 10 year.

Prior to ISBT, sattelite bags were fully labeled. Now they come blank. No one pointed this out to me, and I didn't notice. They have been placing codabar blood type labels on the bags, but there is no product label !!! So I have to place an order for labels STAT.

We haven't pooled PLT's in over a year, and just started receiving pooled frozen cryo (still working on setting that up).

So split units will be the only ISBT128 problem.

Since our supplier splits them for us, our main problem is having a code for the split units and not being able to scan it with a bar code reader because Sunquest doesn't read the last characters.

So for example we have a code for LR Red Cells that is E0382. The ISBT Code is E0382V00. If our supplier splits it in two for us, we have ISBT codes E0382VA0 and E0382VBO. Since Sunquest doesn't read the A0 and B0 (and since for component names you can only have 6 characters), we have named them A00382 and B00382 (we replace the leading E with the last two characters of the split - A0 and B0 in this case). Then we have to type in the component code rather than scan it like we do all other component types.

Hope this helps, Belva

Our supplier is definately making it hard for us. Besides not spliting for us, they send 2 different product types:

E0274 RBC, Irradiated, Leuko Reduced from 500 ml CP2D

E0257 from 450 ml CP2D

This would require us to have 4 different labels for each of these 2 types (A0, B0, C0, D0)

Shamrock wants $25.70 per roll with a minimum of 2 rolls of 500. This is a lifetime supply for our hospital, as we only transfuse about 1 baby a month. We always split into 4 bags, but 90% of the time, throw out 3.

It usually takes about 16-24 hours to get a quad pack unit from them. If I was picky and restricted us to only use one of these types, who knows how long we would wait to get the blood!