Hello,

Looking at going live with HCLL and ISBT at the same time. Is anyone currently using HCLL and labeling with ISBT? The Blood Donor Center collects and processes the units and then sends them to the transfusion unit. My first question would be... Is HCLL going to be able to automatically number the units? Based on our scenario, I'm assuming that we will have to print out the full face (4X4) label, and TU will just have to add the typing. Any thoughts?

Can you elaborate a little bit? Won't your donor center be doing the ISBT labeling including the DIN and ABO as part of their processing? You would only print new full face labels for products you further process which aquire new unit IDs (splitting and pooling for example) I believe. Incidentally, HCLL is unable to print 4x4 full face labels prior to version 2.9.3. We are also in the process of going to HCLL and ISBT simultaneously.

Hey there,

Thanks for replying. Our current system is that our donor center uses a pre-purchased number. We apply that number, plus what kind of product it is and our "Collected and Processed" label on each bag. Then we send the products to the transfusion unit. If they do any manipulation, they will relabel the product, as well as putting the blood type on it. So, first of all, I need to find out if we will still need to preorder our numbers or if HCLL is capable of numbering units. We have a Zebra printer which is capable of printing 4X4 labels, but I have no idea how that will interact with HCLL. So, if we cannot print 4X4 labels from HCLL, or if the system does not assign new numbers, I guess that we are going to be printing out the bottom 1/2 of the label. Then we can put on the prepurchased numbers and send the unit to TU who can put on the blood type???

Is that what you are doing? (Or going to be doing?)

Hi,

I said HCLL cannot print 4x4 but I meant only for the dividing process prior to v.2.9.3. HCLL works in conjunction with HemaTrax software on a Digi-Trax enabled printer. If you pool, for example, it prints the complete 4x4 with a new Unit ID as a result of the modification process (including the ABO and new expiration date, etc.). You should have an Implementation Consultant to help you through all of this. What is your projected timeline?

Hey Suzanne,

Implementation Consultant huh??? Novel concept. I have just came back to the Donor Center and apparently we have gone through SEVERAL consultants while I've been gone. And nobody here seems to have a clue about ISBT. That's why I'm trying to get all the info that I can get through other avenues. Here's what we have going on... HCLL AND ISBT by 5/1/08. Leuko reduced blood collections by 4/1/08. And throw in some machine to collect double red cells by 6/1/08. Nothing like hitting the ground running!!!

So tell me, are you using HCLL in the donor center or in the transfusion center (blood bank)? When will your supplier start deliver ISBT labeled products? You need some sample copies of the exact labels they will send to you. When did you start the building process? Is your HCLL already configured for Codabar? There several time consuming tables to configure for ISBT. You almost have to use spreadsheet uploads to get the data into the tables. I don't know about 5/1/08 - that sounds impossible. Are you interfaced with a HIS or LIS? What about your billing? My apologies for the running questions...

We are currently using Hemocare in both the Donor Center and the Blood Bank. We are both going live on HCLL at the same time at the beginning of May. (Yeah, right!!!) We collect 5 - 10% of the blood we use. We get the rest from ARC. Apparently they aren't going to be using ISBT for a while yet. The build actually started on HCLL before I left, about 2 1/2 yrs ago. And yes, it is configured for codabar right now. Doesn't HCLL have the ability to port standard ISBT codes to each institution that purchases their product? Think HIS (not really sure about that one). Manager is taking care of the billing end. I haven't had anything to do with that one. And I DON'T mind the questions at all. As long as you don't mind me sounding so stupid about this new system! >:-)

Yes Mediware can provide a spreadsheet with all of the ICCBBA product codes to load into your ISBT Product Code table. But this is only the beginning. Every ISBT product which you will receive plus those which are the result of modifying also have to be in your general Product Code table. The ISBT Product Process table needs rows configured for each specific product you thaw, wash, pool, etc. Each ISBT product code and related processes are added to the Billing Capture Definition (a bigee). A lot depends on your policies, how you divide, charge for attributes, etc... Check the Flow Sheets for the build process at the back of your DBA Install Guide. I'm not familiar with the Donor side but it should generate the unique DIN based on your ICCBBA source code, on the Transfusion side it will also generate a unique DIN for products requiring one (a pool for example). Are you interfaced to a lab or hospital system?

We did get the spreadsheet from our consultant last week. I'm in the middle of looking at it now to see what is there and what we need to add. It seems to be set up for the blood bank more than for us. For instance, there are several codes for irradiated products, but no codes for WB which we will need here. We are a part of the hospital. The main lab is not going to have access to HCLL as far as I know. Just the donor center and the blood bank.

I don't know where Mediware got this table from, but it's not very comprehensive. I don't know if maybe they sorted through and found the things that they thought we may need?!? Yes, we have a hospital interface. All of our orders are placed in a different system. The TU has the capability of putting some results in this other system. Here in the BDC, we have to chart all of our donor activity in hemocare, and pheresis activity in JeffChart.

I don't want to mix things up but in HCLL Transfusion the ISBT Product Code table initially was populated up to E4026. A spreadsheet with the balance of units up E5582 was available from Mediware last fall. I can't speak about the Donor side. Maybe somebody out there can fill us in? Additionally, on the Transfusion side the Product Code table you would add all the products you actually receive and make through modifying. It sounds like that would only come from what you draw in the donor center since everything else comes from ARC.

The first table that I mentioned was apparently like a "shortcut" from Mediware with just the things on it that they think that we would need. They sent us the full table the other day. (Well the first one you mentioned - it goes up to E4026.) Now it's just a matter of inputting the codes into our tables for the products that we make. From what I can tell, we are only going to need like 20 codes for right now. There are a lot more that we may need in the next 6 months, but I guess we can cross that bridge when we come to it. NOW - you are up on both HCLL and ISBT already??? If so, what does your donor center do for labeling? Just the DIN or product codes as well?

We will be live in a couple weeks on both HCLL and ISBT together, transitioning from Hemocare and generic product codes. We never implemented full Codabar in Hemocare though products always came with a complete Codabar label. Our donor center has been delaying going to ISBT until the hospitals they serve are also ready (we've been holding up the show a bit). They will draw, process and label all donations as ISBT after March 3. You are lucky if you only have to configure about 20 products! Are you helping configure only the donor side or also transfusion?

OH NO! Just the Donor side. There is someone designated down in Transfusion unit to configure all of their codes. However, I'm thinking that he shouldn't have to do that much right now either. We get most of our products from the Red Cross. And since they aren't close to ready for ISBT, the only ISBT stuff that TU will be seeing right now, is our stuff. That should give them a little time to get up to speed on what all codes they need.