Donor Unit ABO/Rh confirmatory test result entry in Meditech

US standards require transfusion services to perform serological testing on red cells obtained from an integral donor tubing segment from cellular blood components to confirm the correctness of the ABO/Rh container label prior to transfusion. 

Units labeled Rh Negative must be tested with anti-D, but not Rh Positive units. Units labeled A, B or AB are tested with anti-A and anti-B and units labeled group O may be tested with anti-A,B only.

Meditech standardly allows for a single test to document the above serological test results.  This test is automatically ordered when a cellular blood component is logged into the system.  For example, when an OPOS unit is logged, user is presented with a test requiring results entry for anti-A, anti-B, anti-A,B and anti-D despite a serological testing protocol using anti-A,B only.  If an ABPOS unit is logged, again, 4 tests (anti-A, anti-B, anti-A,B and anti-D) must be resulted in some manner even though unit was tested with anti-A and anti-B only.

This has been bugging me for years, but I finally figured out a way to configure Meditech so that if an OPOS unit is logged, only anti-A,B is reflexed; if an ABPOS unit is logged, only anti-A and anti-B are reflexed.

To accomplish this requires creation of 3 different Order Groups, a T type test with Auto Result, a PRE type calculation using the keyword "bsp bt" and profile tests with T tests configured with anti-A, anti-B, anti-A,B and anti-D according to your testing protocols.

If you are an interested Meditech user (I'm currently using C/S ver 5.66), please private email me via PathLabTalk.

Edited by Dansket

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,  

This is great, I have built all my tests and calculations and now have it working for OPos, Oneg, ABABPos, and ABABNeg.  

Now I am working through a solution to factor in our other facility that is a smaller hospital that only has ABD gel cards, so they retype all donor blood with ABD.....

Thank you very much for sharing....your directions were excellent!

We are eventually planning on retyping all our units when we move to electronic xm (I'm in Canada so it is a requirement to retype only for electronic xm). When we do start, it would be nice to have it set up like you have it, so I would appreciate getting any info you have on doing your set up.

Edited by marvy1