Incomplete WB collection....?? cont--d..

Hi all members,......:cries:

When I saw this thread "incomplete WB collections", a genuine querry came to my mind..

Hope the senior members will cast their feel on this.

As per AABB protocol, a volume of 10.5 mil per Kilogram body weight can be removed from a

healthy Blood Donor. But that calcualtion , which I feel is on the upper limit of the margin, always have the donors of our Blood Bank (in the body weight range 58-65 kilgrams ) face problems during / after blood donations. (I have found a volume of around 7-8 ml per kilogram body weight very comfortable for the donors in our part, with majority of the donors heavy smokers) So after umpteen number of "trial and error method", a lesser volume of around 350, or 400 or 500 ml is being practised now, dependijng upon the previous donation experience and the weight of the donor.. After starting this practise, the problems had been as good as NIL. Your opinions on this would be appreciated.

Now, we are shifting into the 100% leucodepletion protocol. The bags we are going to use is TERUMO 500 ml capacity bags. But here , my querry is , "Has the degree of leucodepletion of the blood product" any inflluence / effect / relation with the volume of the WB collected ? In such a scenarion, how do you want us / what as per accepeted protocol would be the best method, to reduce the post donation complicatioons due to 500 ml collection ? or in other words, if 400 ml of WB is collected in the 500 ml leucofilter bags, has it any effect on the finished product ?

Please do share your feelings and expertise..

regards to all..

engeekay2003

:cries:

The volume of anticoagulant and additive provided in the collection bag is designed to collect the "targeted" collection volume +/- 10%. The filters are also validated for the "+/- 10%" as well.

In a 500 mL collection container, the acceptable volume is 450 to 550 mL.

In a 450 mL collection container, the acceptable volume is 405 to 495 mL.

I would suspect that an undercollection would not adversly impact the removal of leukocytes from the product, but I would fear that the volume of blood that is retained by the filter would cause excessive product loss. With an overcollection, you risk clotting due to the improper blood/anticoagluant ratio and premature red cell death due to not enough additive.