Transfusion Review

EAB81

When reviewing transfusions (documentation, etc), how many is required by AABB, CAP? Do you just review a percentage a month or so many a year? I ask because I took over blood bank late 2016. All of 2017 I reviewed every backcopy for completion. This year I'm kinda starting new, and its inspection year. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

This was a few years ago but when we changed our way of doing things I reviewed every transfusion for 3 months to get a base line and identify any issues with the change such as nurses needing more training or stronger threats.  After the initial 3 months I reviewed every transfusion for one month quarterly then after a year of that I did the month long review every 6 months.  Seemed to work for us.  This was in a 300 bed level II trauma center with a 28 bed NICU and active heart program.  I'm not sure if there are any new requirements but generally such requirements never seem to be specific enough to really give in guidance.  At least that's how I remember things.  :confused:

• 2 months later...

I "review" everything. I put it in quotes because it's actually done automatically thanks to my girlfriend being a SQL report writer in IT. If you have a SQL writer you can have them whip up a report that does the reviews for you and you just stamp it reviewed and take whatever corrective actions you need. I guess this also assumes that your facility is using a TAR system for nursing to enter vitals and whatnot.

It's really baffling why we don't see LIS systems taking more into account the regulating agencies and tailoring their software to it. So many things that are manually looked at could be done in the background.