Eluate Blind Samples

pinktoptube

I've used 9 segments from an Rh neg unit plus 1 segment from an Rh pos unit with about 6-8 drops of anti-D. Let that concoction incubate at 37 C for 15 or 20 minutes. I washed the sample once or twice to remove some of the anti-D, then handed it off to the student. When they followed our SOP, the sample worked just fine. I'm sure you could do something similar w/ different antisera, but I've never tried. I just needed to teach the method, not evaluate for a competency.

I've taken an outpatient sample (so I know it won't be needed again), added 3 drops of anti-s (BioRad - IAT), mixed and put it in the water bath agitating for about an hour.  Works like a charm.  I've also used Coombs control (labeled as a patient sample) - they elute anti-D as expected-much less of an eluate volume but we use gel so there's enough. 

Sometimes I use the Coombs Control. Other times I have antigen type an expired unit for E, C or K and if positive for one of those put a couple of mls in a tube add the corresponding anti-sera, incubate for 30 minutes. I found the another anti-seras don't work so  well.

I have found that the anti-sera that requires coombs phase testing works well to make elutes, but the monoclonal anti-seras that only require RT incubation, don't work as well.  Since that is most of the commercial anti-seras now - it is getting tougher to manufacture this stuff yourself now. 

AMCord's recipe would work well, but always leaves you with a anti-D eluate. 

Cliff - do you use a whole syringe of RhIg?  How do you mix it?