manual cell count control

dtreadway

We currently use a procedural control for our manual cell counts.  We are currently CAP certified, but are switching to Joint Commission.  One of their Standards states that for manual cell counts, one level of QC for every 8 hours of testing is performed and documented.  Does anyone accredited by Joint commission use procedural controls?

We do indeed run wet controls when we do cell counts on the hemacytometer.  We use Streck Cell-chex.  JCAHO noted that we needed to do this a few inspections ago.  Once every 8 hours when testing patients.

(Not sure what you mean  by a procedural control vis a vis manual cell counts...)

Scott

Yes!  There are guidelines that correlate the cell count with the cellularity of the cytospin.

We will be switching from CAP accreditation to Joint commission.  June will be our first inspection.  This is why I am asking about the QC.

21 hours ago, dtreadway said:

Yes!  There are guidelines that correlate the cell count with the cellularity of the cytospin.

I would think that it would have to be arbitrary to the point of uselessness, but what do I know?

In any event, we are not CAP certified but have been inspected by JCAHO forever.  I am pretty sure you will need cell-count QC like mentioned above.  You can always check your inspection standards when you get a copy!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...