ESR analyzer for small lab

milesd3

Streck is discontinuing the ESR plus sed-rate analyzer and I was wondering what everyone else is using.  streck is recommending the mini-cube but I don't know any thing about the analyzer good or bad as I think it pretty new but is able to test directly from the edta tube eliminating the need for sed-rate tubes. we only do 10-15 per month so we do not need an analyzer that can test dozens of sed-rates at a time but something affordable and reliable.

Thanks

We have been using a Polymedco sedi-mat for a few years and have had little trouble with it, other than getting used to its simple menu.

With only 10-15 ESRs a month I have to wonder why you don't just use the old-fashioned 1 hour manual test.  You need it as back-up anyway if I am not mistaken.

Scott

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, SMILLER said:

We have been using a Polymedco sedi-mat for a few years and have had little trouble with it, other than getting used to its simple menu.

With only 10-15 ESRs a month I have to wonder why you don't just use the old-fashioned 1 hour manual test.  You need it as back-up anyway if I am not mistaken.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I'd be totally fine with the old manual test but we are a small rural hospital and the night tech is alone after midnight and if he/she is in the ER or on the floor when the hour is up it would have to be remixed and the process started over again thus making the ER Dr. upset.  I realize ESR is not an emergency room test but someone forgot to inform the ER Dr.s about this fact.  We also do CRP's but if "our" ER Drs order a CRP they seem to want the ESR as well.  In the 23 years I've been at this place, we've never had a backup for ESR and haven't ever had a need.  I suppose in the event that our analyzer was down, we would just send the sample to our reference lab.  If administration approves the purchase we have decided to go with the Streck mini cube.  If they don't I'm going to talk to our pathologist about discontinuing the test all together.

I appreciate the point about someone not being around when the alarm goes off! 

Just one more note, the sedi-mat uses the same Polymedco tubes used for a manual test.  So if you get that or another auto ESR that uses standard tubes, you would have your back-up available STAT.

Scott

• 1 month later...