Fake blood products

TreeMoss

We are going to begin running Mock Massive Transfusion Protocols in our facility.  We need to "manufacture" some blood products to use in these drills.  Do any of you have "recipes" for making up packed cells, FFP, Platelets, and Cryo products to use for practice?

Thank you

Hello, are you looking to actually create physical products or just in a computer?  In the past we have made physical units with card stock...yellow for yellow products, red for red cells, and then labeled with labels we have created in our validation environment.

I use large saline (2L) bags from dialysis and add a small amount of yellow food color. For fake blood, I got a powdered fake blood that I made a concentrate from and then add a small amount to the 2L bags. I then use smaller bags (300mL) and spike the large 2L bags with the smaller bags to make the individual components.

7 hours ago, tcoyle said:

Hello, are you looking to actually create physical products or just in a computer?  In the past we have made physical units with card stock...yellow for yellow products, red for red cells, and then labeled with labels we have created in our validation environment.

Yes, we want actual products -- so we can thaw the FFP and Cryo to see when they would actually be ready for use.

For RBCs, we use unsweetened Koolaid packets and water in empty blood bags - 1 believe we use 400 ml Transfer bags.  - I think we use 2 black cherry packets and one red cherry.   We also used gram stain reagents in the past.  We give them to RNs for training when requested, 

For mock disaster drills we slit a hole in the back and insert red or yellow paper inside the empty blood bags. We store the frozen yellow bags in the freezer and set the timer for 15-20 minutes for thawing.  I like the idea of thawing fake units - Lemonaid koolaid?

On 12/4/2018 at 7:46 AM, marvy1 said:

I use large saline (2L) bags from dialysis and add a small amount of yellow food color. For fake blood, I got a powdered fake blood that I made a concentrate from and then add a small amount to the 2L bags. I then use smaller bags (300mL) and spike the large 2L bags with the smaller bags to make the individual components.

Where do you get your fake blood powder???

I don't have a HemaTrax for making unit numbers or barcodes to scan.  Any suggestions other than using expired supplier units and documenting that all transactions were used for testing and re-disposing of units after testing?

On 12/13/2018 at 9:33 AM, Patty said:

I don't have a HemaTrax for making unit numbers or barcodes to scan.  Any suggestions other than using expired supplier units and documenting that all transactions were used for testing and re-disposing of units after testing?

I use my Validation Environment.