Any other EPIC/SCC/SoftBank users here?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New question :)

Does anyone have a good workflow for adding an antibody screen onto an existing ABRH?  We frequently run into this in our L&D (ex.  Mom comes in planning for a vaginal delivery, so they order an ABRH.  She turns into a C-section, so they want a full T&S).  Since Epic sees Softbank as a reference lab, we can't get the add-on without the banker manipulating in Patient>Orders>Modify.  I'd appreciate any insight!

~Carrie

Carrie,

We require two separate draws on any patient without a historical ABORH on file, and we pull a T&S on most OB patients when they are admitted per OB hemorrhage risk. However, we have recently built and add-on for a Blood Bank hold tube that is run in ED as a part of the  Rainbow draw. This may be similar. Let me know and we can pass the build along.

2 hours ago, PBM RN said:

Carrie,

We require two separate draws on any patient without a historical ABORH on file, and we pull a T&S on most OB patients when they are admitted per OB hemorrhage risk. However, we have recently built and add-on for a Blood Bank hold tube that is run in ED as a part of the  Rainbow draw. This may be similar. Let me know and we can pass the build along.

We have a similar policy.  We only request the second draw if they order packed cells w/ historical type, though.  Our high-risk deliveries also get a type and screen.  My issue is when we need to turn the ABRH specimen into a full T&S (adding the ABSN to the existing order).  We have not found a way for Epic to automatically add-on to a BB specimen like they can in other areas.  We also have a BB Hold tube, but the issue is the same...if they order testing, we have to manually go in to Beaker & add collection info.  Has anyone found a true add-on method that interfaces f/ Epic to Soft?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a go live date for March 10th. We’re transitioning from Cerner/Millenium to SoftBank in just the blood bank area. Last I was aware the rest of the pathology department will possibly be doing Epic Beaker and our hospitals all use Epic. 

I look forward to any wisdom you’d like to pass on from your own transitions that may not have already been posted to this feed. 

Thanks!

We have been on Softbank/Epic Beaker since July 2019.  We are having issues with no billing going out for the specimen when we have any test set to To Repeat.  So if the ABORH is repeated, the antibody screen and the repeat ABORH are not billed.  Anyone having similar issues?

Welcome to everyone who has joined us.

Carrie - We have not figured it out in a true linking either. We do draw a pink top as part of the ED rainbow draw and send to BB for the add on T&S when needed but it is still manual in BB

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:47 AM, dpapp820 said:

We have been on Softbank/Epic Beaker since July 2019.  We are having issues with no billing going out for the specimen when we have any test set to To Repeat.  So if the ABORH is repeated, the antibody screen and the repeat ABORH are not billed.  Anyone having similar issues?

Blackl  - The Epic Userweb forum has a pretty consistent list of issue with Epic and Soft. The majority of issues have to do with T&S and ABORH logic, linking test and orders to encounters, giving blood across encounters, documenting MTP, and ensuring every area of the organization has a build if it gives blood products.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:33 PM, BlackI said:

We have a go live date for March 10th. We’re transitioning from Cerner/Millenium to SoftBank in just the blood bank area. Last I was aware the rest of the pathology department will possibly be doing Epic Beaker and our hospitals all use Epic.  I look forward to any wisdom you’d like to pass on from your own transitions that may not have already been posted to this feed. 

dpapp820 - I don't get involved in the billing side, but it would seem there is a logic/parameter behind the billing of the same test in X amount of time that is not allowing the repeat test to occur.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, Carrie Easley said:

We have a similar policy.  We only request the second draw if they order packed cells w/ historical type, though.  Our high-risk deliveries also get a type and screen.  My issue is when we need to turn the ABRH specimen into a full T&S (adding the ABSN to the existing order).  We have not found a way for Epic to automatically add-on to a BB specimen like they can in other areas.  We also have a BB Hold tube, but the issue is the same...if they order testing, we have to manually go in to Beaker & add collection info.  Has anyone found a true add-on method that interfaces f/ Epic to Soft?

I am wondering if anyone has moved away from using Blood Bands in the Epic Softbank setting for Outpatients? We are currently using the Epic band as the blood band but still requiring the Epic band to be left on between the T&S draw and the return for infusion. Our population is growing and there is not time to always do transfusion the same days in OP.

TIA

Anne