Any other EPIC/SCC/SoftBank users here?

• 2 months later...

This is great! There are more of us than i thought! I am a TSO/Blood Management Coordinator for a 9 facility System. We went live on Epic with SoftBank in October 2016. We are still experiencing many of the same issue with functionality that other are and we have added issues due to Softbank.

• 4 weeks later...

Great we have a good group! I have two recent questions if you don't mind more emails.

I know this question has been asked in the larger forum, but specific to Epic/Soft how are you all dealing with John Doe's and the conversion of the record once the patient has a known identity if the T&S was drawn on John Doe? Are you redrawing, running parallel charts until DC, or are you converting at a specific time like 72 hours?

Second question - how are you handling gender in the Transgender population? We are considering having birth identity go to SoftBank from Epic instead of legal gender? We are still working out how to express the need for the birth gender at registration for patient safety in a sensitive manner.

Thank you,
Anne

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We're a children's hospital in the process of building Epic/Beaker/WellSky (Mediware HCLL) with Go-Live set for April 2020.  We've bumped into a huge problem with Epic stating that our outpatient drawing area must use their Epic/Beaker outpatient product which does not allow for electronic (scanned) patient ID and there will also be no patient ID bands.  We've been using electronic ID of patients and samples with our current system (MediTech), so losing this functionality would be taking a major step backwards for us - especially with our Pre-Op patients and their blood bank specimens. We don't want to have to go back to requiring 2 specimens collected at different times on all first time blood bank patients, and using no ID bands just sends up giant red flags to me as far as patient safety is concerned.  Is anyone else experiencing "no ID bands and no barcode scanning of ID band vs. specimen label" in their outpatient areas?  How are you dealing with this?  This problem isn't related to SoftBank vs. WellSky so I'm hoping that I can get some advice from all of you Epic/Beaker users.   Thank you so much!

S,

I am not sure I understand this. We have outpatient labs, clinics and care areas where the Epic band is placed when the patient is registered. The band is then scanned either by a handheld device if phlebotomy draws (Rover) or a handheld scanner if Nursing (Symbol is the brand) and the label is created electronically for specimen collection? We converted from Meditech in two of our facilities and we gained functions, not lost.

Anne

Thank you all for letting me know you are Epic/Beaker and  Softbank too. We continue to have certain frustrations with Epic and SoftBank but so far they seem to be similar to everyone else. Please let me know if you have a solution for any of these that we have not found yet.

MTP - still on paper but we can input total volume/product

Cryo dosing - 5=1 seems to be a challenge to convey

Peds Aliquots  - we have figured out how to prepare 2 syringes/pedi-bags per order but not more

Moving outpts to an inpat setting to complete a transfusion

Documenting units between facilities in our own System when pts are transferred

An inpatient report per nurse or care unit of transfusions not stopped and completed, a BPA has been advised against

Thank you,

Anne

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, sgoertzen said:

We're a children's hospital in the process of building Epic/Beaker/WellSky (Mediware HCLL) with Go-Live set for April 2020.  We've bumped into a huge problem with Epic stating that our outpatient drawing area must use their Epic/Beaker outpatient product which does not allow for electronic (scanned) patient ID and there will also be no patient ID bands.  We've been using electronic ID of patients and samples with our current system (MediTech), so losing this functionality would be taking a major step backwards for us - especially with our Pre-Op patients and their blood bank specimens. We don't want to have to go back to requiring 2 specimens collected at different times on all first time blood bank patients, and using no ID bands just sends up giant red flags to me as far as patient safety is concerned.  Is anyone else experiencing "no ID bands and no barcode scanning of ID band vs. specimen label" in their outpatient areas?  How are you dealing with this?  This problem isn't related to SoftBank vs. WellSky so I'm hoping that I can get some advice from all of you Epic/Beaker users.   Thank you so much!

We went live with Beacon (another module of EPIC) for our outpatient and we were told same. We insisted that we needed same build as our inpatient where we scan pt ID band and specimen label to document specimen collection. Our infusion clinic workflow (in Beacon) was changed to same as inpatient. I think with EPIC you need to know what is available there and insist that they accommodate your need. We insisted that if inpatient can do it why can't they do same for outpatient! They listened and changed the build for us....