AS vs CPDA-1 with Peds MTP

Jody

We have a very small pediatric transfusion practice but a lively trauma program for a hospital our size.  We were tasked with creating a MTP process for our little people.  I am looking for a good reference for using AS units in Peds traumas/large volume transfusions. The only references I have been able to locate address the anticoagulant in small volume transfusions.  Also, our supplier is floating the idea of dropping CPDA-1 units.

Thank you in advance for any sage advice!

I don't have any good reference material for you, but I can say that we use adsol units for all of our MTPs, regardless of age/size.  We do have different MTP packs based on the patient's weight ranging from 1 rbc: 1plasma :1 plt to 4 rbc : 2 plasma : 1 plt pheresis.  We are a free-standing pediatric Level 1 trauma center with about 30 MTPs per year.

We are also a free standing children's hospital with a level 1 trauma.  Last year we changed our MTP to weight based because there was way too much wastage for the smaller patients.  We are currently in the process of switching from CPDA to AS3 for all our neonates and transfusion >20cc/kg on patients < 1 year old.  We will be 100% AS3 (but can still use CPD, CP2D and CPDA1 if available) by mid December (if everything works out as planned).  I attached a couple of abstracts and a really nice Power Point we used to get neonatology to agree to the switch.  Hope this helps.

http://www.haabb.org/images/04_The_Use_of_Red_Cell_Additive_Solutions_and_Special_Attributes_in_Neonatal_Patients.pdf

AS3 pediatric cardiac surgery.pdf

AS-3 SurveyAbstract 2015.pdf

• 2 weeks later...