Stat Centrifuge

BloodbankZ

We use the Hettich and spin at 8000 rpm for 2 minutes.  Works great but it does has a latch check that takes a about a second to complete, so if you are really fast at pressing the start button, it won't start immediatedly.  I don't usually have a problem with it because I let it do it's thing, but occasionally I will be too fast and have to press start again.

23 minutes ago, BankerGirl said:

We use the Hettich and spin at 8000 rpm for 2 minutes.  Works great but it does has a latch check that takes a about a second to complete, so if you are really fast at pressing the start button, it won't start immediatedly.  I don't usually have a problem with it because I let it do it's thing, but occasionally I will be too fast and have to press start again. 

BankerGirl do you know the g force?

You definitely want to check compliance with manufacturer's requirements whether you are using tube testing, gel, solid phase and/or automation. That said, validation is a must, though it doesn't haven't to be a huge project. Run split samples centrifuged using your current method, then using the new method.  Tests should be representative - blood types, antibody screens as surrogate for indirect antiglobulin testing, direct antiglobulin testing, etc. - but don't have to be exhaustive.

5 hours ago, AMcCord said:

You definitely want to check compliance with manufacturer's requirements whether you are using tube testing, gel, solid phase and/or automation. That said, validation is a must, though it doesn't haven't to be a huge project. Run split samples centrifuged using your current method, then using the new method.  Tests should be representative - blood types, antibody screens as surrogate for indirect antiglobulin testing, direct antiglobulin testing, etc. - but don't have to be exhaustive.

We use Ortho gel primarily. It states nothing about centrifuge time. We use greiner tubes and they recommend 2000g for 10 min for platelet poor plasma. I am leaning towards the Stat spin express which is 3 minutes at 4000g. As long as it validates I don't see a problem do you?

On 11/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, BloodbankZ said:

BankerGirl do you know the g force?

I do not know the g-force.  I found an online g-force calculator but since the model we have doesn't seem to be still available, it probably wouldn't help you much.  I'm sure if you looked at the specs of the ones they have now, you could find out.