Sterile Tube Welder (Connecting Device) Recommendations?

SusieQ132

Hi all!

I see that others have asked this question before, but not recently, and there are a few newer models on the market these days.  My facility is in the market for new sterile welders.  We have used Terumo TSCD devices for 10+ years, and have only had trouble with them recently.  However, due to their cost, we are evaluating other options out there.  Here are the models we're looking into, and what information I've gleaned so far:

• Terumo TSCD II
    • Copper wafer-based (single use, cartridge-based loading)
    • HIGH cost of device and wafers
  • Genesis TCD
    • Copper wafer-based (larger wafers, single use, single-load)
    • LOW cost of device and HIGH cost of wafers
  • Genesis RapidWeld STW
    • Stainless-steel blade module (multi use - 250, 500, or 1000 welds each)
    • MID-RANGE cost of device and wafers
  • Fresenius Kabi CompoDock Sterile Tube Connection System
    • Wafer-less welding (uses "counters" that are required to run the device, but I don't know WHY they're required)
    • MID-RANGE cost of device and "counters"

So, what I'm looking for now is anyone who has experience/reviews/likes/dislikes for the latest models of each of these devices!  Especially the two newer models (Genesis RapidWeld STW and Fresenius Kabi CompoDock), since they would be completely different than what we've been using. 

Thank you in advance!

Susan

We had a Terumo SCD 312 a few years back that never gave us any problems until one day it just flat stopped working and couldn't be fixed.  I had been talking to Fresenius about the ComboDock but we have limited space and it was too big for our area.  We ended up with the Terumo TSCDII because they were the only ones to get us a same day quote and had the equipment to us in 2 days plus they let us return the 6 boxes of wafers we had from the previous version and gave us out money back (minus 25% stocking fee).  Working at a children's hospital we have to have a sterile docker so for us fast was what we needed. 

With the Terumo TSCD you have a clear catch bin for the used wafers so it's easy to tell when you need to empty it.  I was watching a youtube video on the Genesis TCD and it looks more complicated than the Terumo.  You have to load a wafer every time and your tubing has to be longer.  Here's the link to the video: 

The only problem we've had is during a emergency generator load test one night it revered back to the LED screen being in German instead of English but the user's guide has a really good troubleshooting guide and I was able to fix it in about 5 minutes.  I don't like the way you change cassettes though.  It's not as easy to change them as the older SCD 312 model.  Here's a video on the Terumo: 

Hope this helps!

There's a new Record Retention CAP standard for Inspection of Weld for Completeness QC.  Does this only apply to donor/component processing?  We are a transfusion service hospital and I've never done weld checking.   

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Patty said:

There's a new Record Retention CAP standard for Inspection of Weld for Completeness QC.  Does this only apply to donor/component processing?  We are a transfusion service hospital and I've never done weld checking.   

You need to follow manufacturer's recommendations, so review the user's manual and see what they require.  Ours says that we must do an inspection of the weld at least once a day, so I built a log sheet to record patient name, unit number, wafer cartridge lot number, bag/syringe lot number, weld inspection, weld alignment, corrective action, and tech initials.