TAT for STATs

Lecia Guill

Would some of you please share your TAT's for STAT T&S or T&S with 2 unit XM?   We are looking to revise our standard.   To compare, the following information would be helpful:

1.  How many beds in your facility?

2.  What is your TAT?

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result?

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others?

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank?

My facility:  350 beds. 60 minutes from order to result.  BB Techs and BB certified phlebotomists collect specimens.  Not automated.

Previous supervisors threw out most of the outliers so that the goal of 90% within 60 minutes was met.  I exclude very few data points, thus our TAT hovers just under 55%.  I want to establish a reasonable, meaningful standard.  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Lecia Guill said:

Would some of you please share your TAT's for STAT T&S or T&S with 2 unit XM?   We are looking to revise our standard.   To compare, the following information would be helpful:

1.  How many beds in your facility?  270, typical M-F census about 130-200

2.  What is your TAT? about 45 mins (uncomplicated)

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result? from receipt

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others?  Mostly Lab phlebots.

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank? No, manual gel screens

My facility:  350 beds. 60 minutes from order to result.  BB Techs and BB certified phlebotomists collect specimens.  Not automated.

Previous supervisors threw out most of the outliers so that the goal of 90% within 60 minutes was met.  I exclude very few data points, thus our TAT hovers just under 55%.  I want to establish a reasonable, meaningful standard.  Thanks in advance!

Scott

I did not calculate blood bank TATs from order to completion.  I started the clock when the sample arrived in the blood bank.  I had no control over what happened between order and sample arrival.  For the rest of your quest for info, I have been out of the loop too long to provide any current info.  I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.  Oh, my reference for my limited response was a 350 bed, level II trauma center.

1.  How many beds in your facility? About 450 with additional offsite NICUs, level 1 pediatric trauma center

2.  What is your TAT? We only monitor T&S from the Emergency dept- 45 minutes or less (goal is 95% resulted within 45 min.  We are usually 97-99% and perform around 120-150 samples from ED per month)

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result? From receipt to result only

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others? RNs or IV team

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank? Yes- one Vision; it has not impacted our TAT for these ED samples. We set a timer when a STAT is placed on the Vision so that it can be resulted as soon as results are available.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:31 AM, Lecia Guill said:

.  How many beds in your facility?  180 beds

2.  What is your TAT?   60 mins  (decent percent that we make that)

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result?  from receipt to results  (there is no telling how long it is going to take to collect it)

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others?  50% RNs and 50% Phleb team (roughly)

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank?  Immucor's ECHO  (35-40 mins start to finish on a Type and Screen) - if Antibody Screen is negative - Immed. spin XM follows (5-10 mins)

Love the idea of setting a timer - it is so easy to get distracted and miss the finish of a STAT specimen.   The ECHO does not have a loud (obnoxious) alarm when finished and many of our techs are out in the Main Lab anyway when the instrument is running (perpetual staff shortages). 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:31 AM, Lecia Guill said:

1.  How many beds in your facility?  400

2.  What is your TAT? Only track ED, 65 minutes for non-trauma, 35 minute ABO and 60 minute screen for trauma

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result? from receipt

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others? ED personnel

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank? Yes, NEO, however, we perform manual solid phase on any traumas

• 1 month later...

TAT's for STAT T&S:

1.  How many beds in your facility? 700

2.  What is your TAT? 58.33 minutes for 2018 jan-sep

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result? receive to result

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others? We have mostly RN collection, only the morning run by AHTs (allied health tech-predominately MAs not phlebs)

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank?   Yes

Previous supervisors threw out most of the outliers so that the goal of 90% within 60 minutes was met.  I exclude very few data points, thus our TAT hovers just under 55%. for the same time period as the TAT given, we averaged 68% of stat T/SC within 60 minutes, I do throw out a few outliers, I take any T/SC under 20 minutes and remove those and the same number from the top of the list, under the assumption the both the extremely short and extremely long are probably computer artifact in some way, I usually have about 10 that I take off of the top and bottom.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, Lecia Guill said:

1.  How many beds in your facility? 510 level 1 trauma center

2.  What is your TAT?60 mins

3.  Is the TAT calculated from order to result or receipt to result? receipt to result

4.  Who collects your specimens?  RNs, phlebotomists, others? Both

5.  Do you have any automation in your Blood Bank?Yes ProVue(2)

Edited by Eagle Eye
removing extra spaces so reply is visible

>350 bed level 1 trauma center plus 165 bed children's hospital

>60 minutes with the exception of traumas which is 45 minutes

>RN's, Phlebotomist's, MLT's, and anesthesiologist

>Time starts when the specimen is in the lab

>Just moved the automation to another hospital in the system but we only performed Outpatient Prenatal type and screens.