Coag q.c. every 8 hours

kimg

Currently we are running our coag q.c. every 6 hours to ensure that we are not late. This is quite wasteful and we would like to run q.c. every 8 hours (as required). Any ideas on how to make sure q.c. is not getting run too late (after the 15 minute window). We use the ACL TOP 350's and I thought there was a way to hold results if q.c. had not been run but apparently I was mistaken. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't that analyzer run QC automatically?  If it does, and there is a QC failure, it should not be sending those test results for patients to your LIS until the outlier is resolved.

We run our PT and APTT QC every 8 hours like this but we have 500s. 

As a side note, we do run our Hema QC (manually of course!) every 8 hours +/- 1 hour.  Inspectors do not have a problem with this so far.

Scott

This process may be too specific to our workflow and our volumes but:

QC is scheduled to be run at midnight, 0800, 1600, and everyone knows that

When techs run QC, we have a "canned" text comment they can drop in that says "No patient results were reported until acceptable QC testing was performed" or something like that. We're then covered if someone was late. I spot check for compliance and this seems to work OK for us.  On the very rate occasions that  I find missed QC or late QC with patients resulted, the tech has to review charts, meds, histories, etc. to determine if all of the results that were reported since the last acceptable QC was documented were consistent.  They usually only have to do that once to get the message.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, kimg said:

Currently we are running our coag q.c. every 6 hours to ensure that we are not late. This is quite wasteful and we would like to run q.c. every 8 hours (as required). Any ideas on how to make sure q.c. is not getting run too late (after the 15 minute window). We use the ACL TOP 350's and I thought there was a way to hold results if q.c. had not been run but apparently I was mistaken. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When we had the Stago we ran QC every 6 hours but it was because we were able to utilize the QC material better that way.  I cannot remember how long the QC lasted (hours) maybe 24.  We are on our second Sysmex and allot of us set timers so we don't forget.  Occasionally though we are on the floor or ER and we end up being late.  We document that we were late and why.  Obviously not all the samples between the late QC and previous are suitable for retest so we look back at previous coag results on that patient if there is history and compare.  State health recommended this but I'm not sure what it proves.