References

lindam923

Hi.  I am trying to decide how to cite references for the AABB technical manual and the Standards for my SOPs. Currently I cite the actual edition we are using however when I had my most recent inspection, the inspector suggested I use "current edition" in my references.

Does anyone do this and do you have a form that cites the current references in use? If so I would love to see your form.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, lindam923 said:

Hi.  I am trying to decide how to cite references for the AABB technical manual and the Standards for my SOPs. Currently I cite the actual edition we are using however when I had my most recent inspection, the inspector suggested I use "current edition" in my references.

Does anyone do this and do you have a form that cites the current references in use? If so I would love to see your form.

Thanks.

I can see why the inspector suggested this, because it saves you having to change all your SOPs every time there is a new edition.  However, if you do switch to this, you have to make quite certain that the technical manual and standards have not changed for any particular technique, etc, otherwise you could be cited for having an "out-of-date" SOP (if you see what I mean).  You would, though, only have to change one SOP instead of all of them.

AABB recommends that so you don’t have to rewrite the references on every policy when they are updated.   Like above, you can have a cover sheet with current edition info. Also, when AABB issues a new edition of standards, they publish a document detailing the changes.   Before the new Standards implementation date,  I would go through that and document on all the changes any policy affected, action required, and date completed.  I had the Medical Director sign off on that when done. Most were “not applicable”, as we were not a donor center, or “no change required to policy XYZ”.