Anti-Can?

Kayla Ace

I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding an Anti-Can? In Marion E. Reid & Christine Lomas-Francis's "Blood Group Antigens and Antibodies" guide, they reference an 'Anti-Can' which reacts like an Anti-M but mostly with Black donors vs Caucasians. However I am unable to find any more information regarding this antibody. Would greatly appreciate any input or any further reading materials that mention this antibody. Thanks!

The Can antigen is now one of those included in the MN CHO Blood Group Collection (see Reid ME, Lomas-Francis C, Olsson ML.  The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook.  3rd edition, 2012, Academic Press).  These antigens/antibodies are NOT considered to be of clinical significance whatsoever, in terms of either transfusion reactions or HDFN, but It may be that GlnNAc-containing O-glycans confer a selective advantage against invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoites, which may explain why the antigen is found more frequently in Black individuals than White.