BB Exam

It's been years since I took my SBB exam but......

Read AABB Technical Manual cover to cover

Read AABB Standards cover to cover - twice

Make sure you can do the math: RhoGAM dose calculation, FFP and Cryo dose calculation, etc etc - anything you come across in the Tech Manual that includes calculations, make sure you can do them.

Be very familiar with donor standards.

ABO discrepancies

Antibody ID - what is clinically significant, what is not and you may have a question or two or three asking you to ID an antibody from a workup they provide for you.

Maternal/Neonate - which antibodies can cause HDNF, exchange transfusion (unit selection, testing, etc), RhoGAM

Coag - coag cascade and treatment with FFP, Cryo, Factors

Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices - Denise Harmening --- this is an excellent book, I would recommend reading it cover to cover as well.

Good Luck!

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, AMcCord said:

Make sure you can do the math: RhoGAM dose calculation, FFP and Cryo dose calculation, etc etc - anything you come across in the Tech Manual that includes calculations, make sure you can do them.

ABO discrepancies

Antibody ID - what is clinically significant, what is not and you may have a question or two or three asking you to ID an antibody from a workup they provide for you.

Maternal/Neonate - which antibodies can cause HDNF, exchange transfusion (unit selection, testing, etc), RhoGAM

Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices - Denise Harmening --- this is an excellent book, I would recommend reading it cover to cover as well.

Good Luck!

these are all great study goals.  The tech manual and the Harmening book should get you through almost everything.

I took my SBB a hundred years ago (OK, maybe early on when it was first computerized).

I self-studied.  Did not go to SBB school, did not take an online class.  I had, and still have, the great fortune of working at a world class hospital. 

What worked for me:

• Read Transfusion cover to cover for at least a year.  Regardless if I was interested in the article or understood it.
  • Read the AABB Technical Manual, at least once, I think I read it twice, maybe three times.
  • Memorize all of the common antigen frequencies, and some of the odd ones too.
  • Read where the concentration of questions would be.  For example, there was anticipated to be 1 HLA question on my exam.  A person could get their PhD in HLA, I only read that chapter once.
  • Memorize AABB Standards.
  • Memorize the relevant FDA CFRs.
  • Read a good hematology text book.

That is a lot of reading and will have you well versed in most things related to blood banking.  You will easily pass your BB.

If you are taking your SBB, the only thing I was not anticipating was the management questions.  I did not study anything about that.  If I were to take it again (that will never happen), I'd read a book or two on employee relations / management.

I was one of the lucky few who passed (barely) the first time.  But you know what they call the person who finishes last in their class of medical school...

On 7/5/2018 at 2:15 PM, AMcCord said:

ABO discrepancies

Good Luck!

Thank you for the indepth reply                                   

but  Unfortunately i cant read whole AABB stander just a few from it ,,,, but i start to read it noooooooooooooooooooooow 

46 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I took my SBB a hundred years ago (OK, maybe early on when it was first computerized).

I self-studied.  Did not go to SBB school, did not take an online class.  I had, and still have, the great fortune of working at a world class hospital. 

What worked for me:

• Read Transfusion cover to cover for at least a year.  Regardless if I was interested in the article or understood it.
  • Read the AABB Technical Manual, at least once, I think I read it twice, maybe three times.
  • Memorize all of the common antigen frequencies, and some of the odd ones too.
  • Read where the concentration of questions would be.  For example, there was anticipated to be 1 HLA question on my exam.  A person could get their PhD in HLA, I only read that chapter once.
  • Memorize AABB Standards.
  • Memorize the relevant FDA CFRs.
  • Read a good hematology text book.

That is a lot of reading and will have you well versed in most things related to blood banking.  You will easily pass your BB.

If you are taking your SBB, the only thing I was not anticipating was the management questions.  I did not study anything about that.  If I were to take it again (that will never happen), I'd read a book or two on employee relations / management.

I was one of the lucky few who passed (barely) the first time.  But you know what they call the person who finishes last in their class of medical school...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBig thanks Cliff ,,,,,,, that were  great tips and congrato for yooooooooou ^_^

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 9:35 PM, sahar zaid said:

Just looking for any help  for taking the BB Exam.   anyone here who has taken it recently.

Thanks for the help!

:huh:

I am taking the SBB exam this summer. Hopefully, things would be calm down a bit by then and I would be able to take it. Can I ask you, how did you do in your BB Exam? Thank you.