Analyzer Printouts

bevydawn1

I currently started a small facility that uses Meditech as their LIS. They keep every analyzer printout regardless of the tests being interfaced. I know this was not what my old facility did, only keeping result printouts of non interfaced tests. However our QA coordinator is stating it is a requirement. This new facility is also JCAHO inspected, not CAP. Anyone care to share their experiences? Is this record retention that seems excessive to me really necessary?

You must be able to retrieve original instrument data for at least 2 years.  For something like a small Clinitek, the result tape is the only thing you would have to prove what the instrument originally gave - as results can be modified once they cross the interface. Most bigger analyzers have a way to store patient data electronically.

23 hours ago, nziegler said:

You must be able to retrieve original instrument data for at least 2 years.  For something like a small Clinitek, the result tape is the only thing you would have to prove what the instrument originally gave - as results can be modified once they cross the interface. Most bigger analyzers have a way to store patient data electronically.

I have not considered this.  (We have NOT been saving our interfaced UA analyzer tapes!) Can you quote a CLIA or JCAHO reg for that?

Thanks, Scott

Joint Commission Standard DC.02.04.01 Element of Performance 5 note: Retained records may be paper or electronic. Electronic systems must be able to retrieve all information printed on the original hard copy generated at the time of testing in order to be considered satisfactory for compliance.

So, it can easily be argued that the LIS serves as that electronic record. But for something that  doesn't have an actual computer workstation as part of the system, we play it safe and keep the tapes (plus NYS just has crazy strict interpretations of regulations). Luckily, the tapes don't take up much space.