<4 hour transfusion time limit requirement

Patty

I am trying to find a current reference for completing a red cell transfusion within 4 hours of the time of issue.  I could not find it in the current CAP Standards and was wondering if this is still a requirement.  Does anyone monitor Blood Administration for this? 

Hi @SMILLER.  4 hours from when?  That has always perplexed me.  From the time it leaves the fridge / blood bank?  The time it gets to the floor?  The time they start the infusion?

Since you said you monitor this, how many do you monitor?  All or a part of your total infusions?  How many products do you issue a year.

Sorry, that's a lot of questions.  :)

I always used the time the unit was issued to start the clock with the assumption that it had been removed from the refrigerator only moments prior to being issued and that was the documented time.  No where did we specifically document the time it was removed from the refrigerator.  Our process was, remove the unit, issue it on the computer, place it in the pneumatic tube, push the send button.   

18 hours ago, SMILLER said:

Same in the US.  4 hours from when it leaves monitored storage. 

18 minutes ago, John C. Staley said:

I always used the time the unit was issued to start the clock with the assumption that it had been removed from the refrigerator only moments prior to being issued and that was the documented time.  No where did we specifically document the time it was removed from the refrigerator.  

We do the same as above.

Probably not helpful, but there is not a shred of scientific or clinical evidence for the efficacy and safety of this time limit.  Totally expert opinion based upon a group of white haired males (like me) sitting around a table eating tuna fish sandwiches 60 years ago :).  We document such stuff for the two regulatory agencies and two accreditation groups we are inspected by.  How's that for efficiency? Four inspections.