SBB Exam- Study Advice

AMR

Good Morning Fellow Blood Bankers!  I am in my window to take the SBB exam and fell like I am "all over the map" with my study material. I have the material for the latest "Last Chance Review", which is quite helpful; but I was wondering if someone out there has recently taken it and perhaps there are tips to study (I am also using the latest Technical manual and the Standards).

I am taking "Route-3", using my experience- rather than a formal SBB program. I have been a blood banker for many years and I am aware that there are new technologies that I am not familiar with. The pass rate is lower for Route-3, than it is for the folks who take the Accredited SBB program, so I want to make sure that I perform well on my first round. $290 test fee is steep- especially if you do not pass!

Any advice, study tips, resources, etc., would be appreciated.

I appreciate any responses.

Thank you in advance-

AMR 

Hi AMR. 

I took the test about 2 years ago without the formal Sbb program just like you.  It is difficult because it's not just blood bank questions, but it definitely could be done. 

If you have a hematology textbook, study the chapter on coagulation.  On my test I had several coagulation questions and test cases. they give you the coag results and you have to determine what product to give the patient (cryo, FFP, Factors).  Study the coagulation cascade. 

Also, I had several management type questions (budgeting, calculating FTEs, cost effectiveness of instruments, etc..). 

Review blood administration and how to calculate the infusion rate. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck on your test!!!

5 hours ago, new2BB said:

I took the test about 2 years ago without the formal Sbb program just like you.  It is difficult because it's not just blood bank questions, but it definitely could be done. 

If you have a hematology textbook, study the chapter on coagulation.  On my test I had several coagulation questions and test cases. they give you the coag results and you have to determine what product to give the patient (cryo, FFP, Factors).  Study the coagulation cascade. 

Also, I had several management type questions (budgeting, calculating FTEs, cost effectiveness of instruments, etc..). 

Review blood administration and how to calculate the infusion rate. 

which are best materials to study and preparation for the exam ?

Thank you very much New2BB for your response; It is greatly appreciated. I talked to my Manager yesterday and she said that when she took it about 2 years ago, all she studied was the most recent edition of the Technical Manual, and the updated AABB Standards. She said she also reviewed the practice questions on the "Last Chance Review". She mentioned that she made a significant amount of index cards and used them as "flash cards" for the information that she was weak on, or wanted more information on. She said that there is a lot of study preparation information out there, but according to ASCP, all the questions for the SBB exam will come directly from the Technical Manual and the Standards.

Anyone have any more insight???

Thanks,

AMR

I took mine a pretty long time ago.  What worked for me was to read the Technical Manual a couple of times.  I took a peek at a hematology book.  I read Transfusion cover to to cover for at a year.  I memorized Standards (there were fewer of them then) and the relevant CFRs.  I tried reading Issett, but didn't get very far.  I passed.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, AMR said:

Good Morning Fellow Blood Bankers!  I am in my window to take the SBB exam and fell like I am "all over the map" with my study material. I have the material for the latest "Last Chance Review", which is quite helpful; but I was wondering if someone out there has recently taken it and perhaps there are tips to study (I am also using the latest Technical manual and the Standards).

I am taking "Route-3", using my experience- rather than a formal SBB program. I have been a blood banker for many years and I am aware that there are new technologies that I am not familiar with. The pass rate is lower for Route-3, than it is for the folks who take the Accredited SBB program, so I want to make sure that I perform well on my first round. $290 test fee is steep- especially if you do not pass!

Any advice, study tips, resources, etc., would be appreciated.

I appreciate any responses.

Thank you in advance-

AMR 

Hi AMR,

I too am trying to go Route 3 and pass the SBB.  I have been studying the Technical Manual, AABB standards, and Denise Harmening's text.  Is there any chance you might share how to find the most recent Last Chance Review materials?  I have only been able to obtain some from quite a while back.

Thanks and BEST OF LUCK!!

On 5/13/2018 at 12:31 AM, dbarding13 said:

Hi AMR,

I too am trying to go Route 3 and pass the SBB.  I have been studying the Technical Manual, AABB standards, and Denise Harmening's text.  Is there any chance you might share how to find the most recent Last Chance Review materials?  I have only been able to obtain some from quite a while back.

Thanks and BEST OF LUCK!!

The Last Chance Review is now called PASS. It looks like handouts for the 2018 session are available for purchase at http://www.passbbexamreview.org/

I too challenged the exam long ago;  they sent a practical after you passed the written.  I studies Mollison, Technical Manual, Harmening-Pittiglia, and the Garrity and Petz book about autoabs,  made file cards of the blood group systems with ags and their frequencies, did a week at NY Blood Center.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, David Saikin said:

I too challenged the exam long ago;  they sent a practical after you passed the written.  I studies Mollison, Technical Manual, Harmening-Pittiglia, and the Garrity and Petz book about autoabs,  made file cards of the blood group systems with ags and their frequencies, did a week at NY Blood Center.  Good luck.

how you study this textbooks ?( i mean best methods to study them )

20 hours ago, sherif said:

how you study this textbooks ?( i mean best methods to study them )

Read/study the stuff you don't know or understand.  A lot of the material on the SBB exam in 1985 is now used in the BB exam.  Today's exam has a lot more management-type questions and is not just blood bank trivial pursuits exercise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...