Transfusion line flushed with saline

KKidd

At our facility, we attach a small bag of saline to the other "Y" of our tubing prior to transfusion.  This is used to flush the line at the conclusion of the process to make sure that all of the blood is given.  We are being asked to check on this as a good practice.  I would appreciate input from other facilities.

I would totally agree with Scott.

I can, for the life of me, neither think of a reason why the last few red cells should save the patient's life, if the rest of the unit has not (do these red cells have an ability, before now unrecognised, to carry oxygen to tissues and remove carbon dioxide from these same tissues?), and nor can I see a way to justify the expense of the use of the IV saline (unless, of course, my initial assumption is incorrect!).

Someone reminded me that saline is used to keep the line open until it is certain that there is not going to be any need for it --- like in the case of a delayed transfusion reaction.  (Although I do find the theory that the last few mls of blood are in reality Super Cells more intriguing.)

Scott

We're moving to eliminating the saline bag and using a 50cc saline flush (syringe) at the end of the transfusion.  A bag of saline will be at the bedside in case of a transfusion reaction.  This has been prompted by the saline shortage - the pharmacy is very happy with the move.  The saline flush was suggested because the nurses said patients notice if they don't get all of the blood they're paying for...not worth the argument.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, jnadeau said:

We're moving to eliminating the saline bag and using a 50cc saline flush (syringe) at the end of the transfusion.  A bag of saline will be at the bedside in case of a transfusion reaction.  This has been prompted by the saline shortage - the pharmacy is very happy with the move.  The saline flush was suggested because the nurses said patients notice if they don't get all of the blood they're paying for...not worth the argument.

Now wonder we are struggling  here! We need to start charging (for transfusions) by mL!

Scott