Temperature Monitoring

saralm88

Hi everyone!!

I hope everyone is doing well!  I wanted to get a feel for which systems everyone uses to monitor their temperatures in their labs.  Have you had more than one and did you like one over the other?  Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone!

Sara

Over the years we have tightened our monitoring of temps in the BB to include requirements from various regulators.  For example, we store room temp tissue for OR and have been recording temps from a thermometer there, but just recently we added an alarm to the side of the cupboard where it is stored.

In general, we check all alarms and temps for the various refrigerators, platelet rotators, freezers, etc. and record them once a day, documenting that the charts match the readings match the thermometers.  All of our freezers and refrigerators are also monitored automatically by a computer system in engineering as a back-up.  Also, everything is checked quarterly against calibrated thermometers.

Scott

23 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

I sometimes think that management monitor the temperature in many of the laboratories where I have worked by seeing how many of the staff faint.  If it is more than 50%, it is regarded as too hot.  Anything less than 50% and it is okay!!!!!!!!!   :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a period of time it was so hot in our lab due to construction issues that a door to the main hallway had to be open or our chemistry analyzers wouldn't work. It was still tropical with the door open. We threatened to work naked, in view of everyone that passed by. We did get a couple of big fans after that until the problem could be resolved.

As for monitoring temps, we do pretty much what Scott does. 

Edited by AMcCord

I have used 3 different temperature monitoring systems at the various facilities that I have worked.  CIMScan, http://cimtechniques.com/ , TempTrak  https://www.cooper-atkins.com/products/temptrak-1/ , and Primex https://www.primexinc.com/ .  I would have to say that TempTrak, although the biggest company, was my least favorite to manage.  No system is perfect and they all have their limitations just like any software.  They are all better than manually taking temps and changing charts.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:33 AM, SMILLER said:

Over the years we have tightened our monitoring of temps in the BB to include requirements from various regulators.  For example, we store room temp tissue for OR and have been recording temps from a thermometer there, but just recently we added an alarm to the side of the cupboard where it is stored.

In general, we check all alarms and temps for the various refrigerators, platelet rotators, freezers, etc. and record them once a day, documenting that the charts match the readings match the thermometers.  All of our freezers and refrigerators are also monitored automatically by a computer system in engineering as a back-up.  Also, everything is checked quarterly against calibrated thermometers.

Scott

which alarm are you using for the tissue? does it store/log alarms?