transfusion reaction post draw

tkakin

I have a Pathologist who is requesting that all transfusion reaction workup draws be done peripherally instead of through a port/line draw. The concern by the Pathologist is that the product was transfused through the port, so the transfused product could be contaminating the draw. I have done a little research and have not found any info to support one over the other.  As long as the port/line draw is done properly there should be no more contamination line draw vs. peripheral draw to influence the work up testing...right?  The entire patient is "contaminated" with the transfused product.

18 hours ago, tkakin said:

As long as the port/line draw is done properly there should be no more contamination line draw vs. peripheral draw to influence the work up testing...right?

Always the BIG question. Was it drawn properly? I think you answered your own question there.

18 hours ago, tkakin said:

I have a Pathologist who is requesting that all transfusion reaction workup draws be done peripherally instead of through a port/line draw. The concern by the Pathologist is that the product was transfused through the port, so the transfused product could be contaminating the draw. I have done a little research and have not found any info to support one over the other.  As long as the port/line draw is done properly there should be no more contamination line draw vs. peripheral draw to influence the work up testing...right?  The entire patient is "contaminated" with the transfused product.

I agree with you and don't they keep the line open with saline or is that old school?