Automation Daily QC Documentation

jalomahe

For those of you using automation and especially Galileo Echo users:

How do you document daily QC?

Do you printout the WBcorQC results, sign off on them daily, and file them for ___ period of time?

Do you just have it as a check off item on the Maintenance Log and document review there knowing that 1) the Echo won't let you run the test if QC is not performed and passes 2) the actual QC runs are on the archive disks?

Or do you have another method?

Currently we print the QC daily but that's a lot of paper and storage space so I'm looking for another way of handling it.

Thanks for your help B)

I have a 'Supervisory Review' form, one page per month, which has check off columns for specific tasks (and a corresponding SOP).

On this form I record the ECHO batch # of each QC run when I (or a designee) review them.  I track the RS3 & Indicator cells for my own purposes.

I don't print them out, but they are archived with the patient data, so I can retrieve it when requested.

I include the 'Supervisory Review' form with other QC documentation for retention and retrieval. I've attaché d a copy of the spreadsheet.

Txn Med Supervisory Review Monthly Checklist.xlsx

• 9 months later...

Quote: "Do you just have it as a check off item on the Maintenance Log and document review there knowing that 1) the Echo won't let you run the test if QC is not performed and passes 2) the actual QC runs are on the archive disks? "

This is the process we use.  We also "Review and Approve" the QC daily using the "check" button.  That shows we at least looked at it each day.   Everything is archived too.

Edited by carolyn swickard

• 8 months later...

We used to just document on the maintenance form and review at the end of the month. Then I read somewhere, it may have been on this site, that the software to read the backup disks on the Echo was proprietary and you must have their software to read the DVD backup disks. Our instrument was getting some age on it and I wasn't sure if we would remain with Immucor when we replaced it. So, I talked to Immucor and they said it could be read on Notepad even without the Echo computer. I tried reading it on my computer and it doesn't look anything like it does on the instrument. I sort of figured it out but it is a mess and it took a while. I even wrote a process on how to read the disks if we don't have the ECHO computer.

I started having my people print the QC daily a few years ago so I will at least have it if asked by an inspector. I "review" and sign it within a month. I don't really review it because the Echo won't work if the QC doesn't pass but at least it looks like I reviewed it. I didn't want to be fumbling around trying to print QC for some random month during an inspection.

Then to top it all off, our hospital came along about a year ago and switched out all our computer towers and took away the DVD/CD readers. I had to have a special one put in my office with a DVD reader in case we didn't have the ECHO and I needed to look at patient results.

I guess what I am saying is pretend you don't have your instrument and see what your backup disks look like without the software to read it. Then make your decision on whether to print QC or not. I chose to print.