Pooled Cryoprecipitate

hmlange

Good Morning,

I have never heard of mixed ABO pools but the Technical Manual does not state that pooled units should have the same ABO. For facilities that use/manufacture pooled cryo, how often do pools have mixed ABO types? Any reason not to mix ABO types in a pool?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, hmlange said:

Good Morning,

I have never heard of mixed ABO pools but the Technical Manual does not state that pooled units should have the same ABO. For facilities that use/manufacture pooled cryo, how often do pools have mixed ABO types? Any reason not to mix ABO types in a pool?

Thanks!

We get ours pre-pooled from ARC.  Far too much QC needed to do it in house.  Also, I your LIS may not play well with a mixed ABO.

We get prepooled from our outside suppliers so this has not happened in a very long time.  However, when we used to get singles, there may have been times where we did not have enough of one type or the other.  In those cases, we could mix pools. I think this is more unlikely in our current situation where prepools are readily available.  We do not obtain single units anymore.