Antigen Negative Labels

This is not an "exciting" question....but just wondering, does anyone out there know of a commercial label for Antigen Typing (to place on the unit) that has a space provided to write the Unit#?  We could get some specially made, but that would be expensive; so just curious.  I know we had one at a previous place I worked at many years ago, but not sure if they made those themselves?

Thanks,

Brenda Hutson, MT (ASCP)SBB

19 hours ago, Brenda Hutson said:

This is not an "exciting" question....but just wondering, does anyone out there know of a commercial label for Antigen Typing (to place on the unit) that has a space provided to write the Unit#?  We could get some specially made, but that would be expensive; so just curious.  I know we had one at a previous place I worked at many years ago, but not sure if they made those themselves?

Brenda, why do you need the unit number on the label?  You are attaching the label to the unit, correct?  We have red antigen positive labels and green antigen negative labels.  We also document in the blood bank module that the unit is P/N for an antigen.  That way if there is a label that comes off the unit, we can still see that the unit has been tested and verify it in our antigen testing log.  I have found that attaching the label to a little bit of the whole unit label helps it stick on better.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, mollyredone said:

Brenda, why do you need the unit number on the label?  You are attaching the label to the unit, correct?  We have red antigen positive labels and green antigen negative labels.  We also document in the blood bank module that the unit is P/N for an antigen.  That way if there is a label that comes off the unit, we can still see that the unit has been tested and verify it in our antigen testing log.  I have found that attaching the label to a little bit of the whole unit label helps it stick on better.

In my experience, there have been a few occasions through the years where "added" labels (i.e. Antigen Negative; CMV-; Sickle Cell Negative; Unit Number labels on back of bags) get stuck onto a unit that they are stored next to.  Obviously, it would be very dangerous to have a unit with an Antigen status that did not belong to that actual unit.  So, that is just where I am coming from.  Right now, we are writing the Unit# on the label, but that is wasting space.   I did work at a place where there was a spot on the label for the Unit# (for that exact reason), but it was a long time ago and can't recall now if they were commercial labels.....or special order.

Thanks,

Brenda

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, David Saikin said:

I use manila tie tags.  One one side I place the unit # (from attached #s on the bag), the antigen typed and result, date and tech.  The other side has my facility ID (from a stamp).

I like that.....thanks.

Brenda

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, AMcCord said:

Shamrock has antigen typing stickers that include lots of different antigens.

Right...but I am looking for one that has a space indicated in which to write the Unit# (in case the label ends up stuck to another unit).

Brenda

On 1/19/2018 at 12:35 PM, Brenda Hutson said:

In my experience, there have been a few occasions through the years where "added" labels (i.e. Antigen Negative; CMV-; Sickle Cell Negative; Unit Number labels on back of bags) get stuck onto a unit that they are stored next to.  Obviously, it would be very dangerous to have a unit with an Antigen status that did not belong to that actual unit.

I understand what you're saying.  It has happened here as well.  But we also document unit status (CMV, HGB S and antigen typing) in our LIS, so it would be caught when the unit was being crossmatched.  Do you not do that at your facility?

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

we do not write on unit. Our staff runs report from LIS and all our antigen negative units are on one shelf (~20 at a time) .

Do you have Meditech?  I saw a place I could print a list putting in specific antigen typings, but it prints one page for each antigen and blood type.  Kind of tedious.

Edited by mollyredone
changed answer

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, mollyredone said:

I understand what you're saying.  It has happened here as well.  But we also document unit status (CMV, HGB S and antigen typing) in our LIS, so it would be caught when the unit was being crossmatched.  Do you not do that at your facility?

Yes, the information is both in the LIS and evident on the product.

Brenda

On 1/21/2018 at 3:58 PM, mollyredone said:

Do you have Meditech?  I saw a place I could print a list putting in specific antigen typings, but it prints one page for each antigen and blood type.  Kind of tedious.

we have safetrace and you can search by antigen and/or blood type. for multiple antigens you can specify if you want to see unit negative for all antigens or some!