lab technician criminal check

bldbnkr

Has anyone in New Hampshire received notification from your HR department that you must submit money to the State of New Hampshire "Board of Registration for Medical Technicians" including a criminal background check with fingerprinting?  From the State website:

"On August 1, 2017, the Board of Registration for Medical Technicians adopted a new Mtec 304.02 pdf file, relative to qualifications for initial licensure. Those with questions on the new rule should contact the Board.

The mission of the Board of Registration for Medical Technicians is to assure that the services provided by our registrants protect healthcare consumer against harm which may be caused by unqualified or impaired practitioners.

"Medical technician'' means a health care worker who is not licensed or registered by a New Hampshire regulatory board and who assists licensed health care professionals in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. For the purposes of this chapter, medical technicians shall be limited to health care workers with access to controlled substances and with access to or contact with patients in a health care facility or in a medical establishment.

Notice

If you have any questions regarding registration, call (603) 271-8389 not the phone number on the letter.

Recently the Board of Registration for Medical Technicians sent packets to a wide range of individuals. If you receive one of these packets, it is to inform you that, if you or any of your employees, who are not licensed or certified by a State of New Hampshire entity and have access to controlled substances (if the substances are on premises), those individuals must register with this office. These packets are informational. "

As clinical laboratory scientists, medical technologists, this seems very demeaning and offensive, but I was told by the woman at the State that if our employer deems it necessary that we do this, then we must.  But we have no access to controlled substances.

I think it is all in the semantics...that someone in HR does not know the difference between a Technician and a Technologist, but it appears that it will not be of any help to us in this case.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by bldbnkr
incomplete

Am I reading this correctly? Doesn't it state that it is for non-licensed individuals? If you are licensed as an MT, MLT, CLS etc. it  appears to me that this does not pertain to those employees. I would say the state is trying to make sure everyone is accounted for in some shape fashion or form in the medical field and protect the safety of the patient as much as possible.

The problem may be that they are NOT licensed by the state, as is the case with many states - not familiar with New Hampshire. My state does not license lab.

My 2 cents...your employer is responsible for the quality of care provided by their facility and that would include complying with regulatory issues, which would include the criminal background check. I would think that your employer should be paying for the background check, not you.

Back story is there was a travelling OR tech at another hospital - he turned out to be a drug diverter and managed to infect a number of patients with Hep C.  I volunteered to help the State of NH test exposed people for Hep C and spent a day in a local school cafeteria doing that testing along with my medical student daughter.  Well, the legislature decided to somehow attempt to regulate these "Lab Technicians" and thus this kangaroo board of 3 people in the state who meet monthly and determine if people are worth of "Lab Tech" designation or not.  2 physicians (1 a gastroenterologist from the affected hospital) and a nurse.  And they are going to determine if I, a medical technologist registered by ASCP is deemed worthy of being a "lab technician"?  I think not! We are going to fight this.

49 minutes ago, David Saikin said:

News to me here in NH.  Though I did have to have a criminal background check and drug screen prior to being rehired.

I thought I was lucky not to have a criminal background check and drug screen prior to being retired, let alone rehired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!